Stuart Turner Pump Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to find out this, if recommended a Monsoon 2 bar single negative pump for my system by Stuart Turner, would there be a down side if I were to use a Monsoon 3 bar single negative pump.

I assume that the flow rate would be the same for both!

What would be the difference apart from the pressure to switch pump off, or would it empty a hot water cylinder quicker for instance.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Invisible-Man said:

But if the pressure is greater then the flow will be greater, unless you close down the shower valve to restrict the flow. What situation do you have anyway? Hot from tank and cold from mains?

chrishutt said:
Invisible-Man said:

But if the pressure is greater then the flow will be greater, unless you close down the shower valve to restrict the flow. What situation do you have anyway? Hot from tank and cold from mains?

Yes, hot from tank and cold from mains, not much head on cold tank (a little though), will be pumping hot to shower, kitchen sink and hand basin!

Thanks

Too big a pump will mean you might run out of hot water. You also don't want it to be much more (or less) than the average mains pressure.

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
Too big a pump will mean you might run out of hot water. You also don't want it to be much more (or less) than the average mains pressure.

Exactly, this was my point, on recommendation of a 2 bar neg and an offer of a reduced price 3 bar neg was not sure if there would be much difference in the chances of running out of hot water (118 L) cylinder, this is only a granny annexe (max 2 people) but was not sure if 2 people were to shower one after another!

Thanks

Its a little clear to me exactly what you want to achieve!

It is possible to have higher pressure and lower flow that that all depends on what and how you are using the water.

With the same set of taps set to the same position a higher pressure will give higher flow and waste water and help you to run out of stored water quicker apart from wasting natural resources and causing even more CO² to be released.

Tony

Dan_Robinson said:
What is the mains pressure?

From the sounds of it just stick with the 2 bar.

I will be using a pressure equalizing valve for the shower as a matter of course, good mains pressure but not sure what exactly!

In that case save complications and use the smaller pump - the difference will be neglible and will reduce the risk of draining the cylinder too quickly.

Dan_Robinson said:
In that case save complications and use the smaller pump - the difference will be neglible and will reduce the risk of draining the cylinder too quickly.

Thanks very much, I will do just that!

The 2 bar will also be quieter - although those Stuart Turner pumps are pretty quiet anyway.

Personally I find the Stuart-Turners quite noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back