stuck valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have one cold rad in he house which i've discovered, by taking the thermostatic valve off, that the small valve (pin?) is stuck in the down (off) position. Have tried WD40 & tapping with a screwdriver but it won't move. Any ideas what I should do next? (there are two brass bolts which the pin comes through, not sure if i should try loosening these??)

Sponsored Links
Drain down the system and renew the valve, allways use fernox inhibitor!!!!

Pull the pin up SLOWLY with a pair of pliers, give the valve a rap on the side with a hammer, (yes it does work every now and again) or as above get rid...

have tried to pull with pliers but cant grip it as only a very small part of it is poking out.
Will undoimg the bolt which the valve pokes through make any difference, or loosen the valve at all?

Sponsored Links
Probably not. I'd try bonking it on the top with a hammer. Not stupidly hard, but there's lots of rubber in there and if you can get it bouncing the bits often free up after a few hits. Pulling the pin out with pliers is likely to get you wet!

Fernox are not the only reputable inhibitor manufacturers, there's Sentinel, Salamander, Kamco, ...

ok, gonna try that, but if I have to get someone in to sort it, and to add Fernox etc, any ideas how much it;s likely to cost??

How long is a piece of string? see forum rules 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back