Stupid Fitted Gas Oven Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is going to be a silly question.

I am planning a fitted double gas oven in a larder unit, my question is what order do I do this in?

Buy the oven, build the unit, fit the oven, get the plumber to attach the oven, and then secure the unit to the wall?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Not a silly question but you got a silly answer - there are many corgi regd engineers answering on this site!

Depends where the gas pipe is now. The plumber will be able to use bendable small copper pipe but not a rubber hose. So when the oven goes in, unless the actual connection point to the oven is accessible, a tail of copper has to be put on the back of the oven. Then the the unconnected end has to be got to an accessible point while the oven is being pushed in. SOmetimes a bit of string helps - you push the oven in having threaded the string out sideways. Once the oven is right back you pull hte string which bends the (say 8mm copper) pipe end out sideways to where you can get at it. Sometimes you can make quite a big hole in the side of an adjacent cupboard, which won't be seen.

Remember there has to be an accessible gas cock (valve/tap) so you can isolate the oven if necessary.

There are lots of ways of skinning this moggy!

ChrisR my answer is not as silly as yours, yours does not in my opinion answer the origonal question at all.

Yours does state how you /plumber can do it, but the question origonally asked is my question is what order do I do this in?

Buy the oven, build the unit, fit the oven, get the plumber to attach the oven, and then secure the unit to the wall?

which you still have not answered, which is why mine is not silly, mine suggests i have no idea, but the corgi plumber who will do the job can say what they would like to be done to be easiest for them to do the job, which is why i said "ask the corgi registered plumber?"

Sponsored Links
I started by saying it depends.

Perhaps you would like to be advised whether you should buy an oven before or after you fit it?? I think I knew that before I was corgi registered.

My answer gave sufficient information for a reasonably intelligent person to be able to work out what had to be done and why.

I should have realised that there are some who might not fit the description.

First thing you do is not to buy anything, get the tech and spec for the oven you want and then you can find out how much clearence you need and where the gas point is located then get the dimensions of larder units and find one that fits before you start. Work it all out on paper before you start,avoid cock ups.

willtd said:
I am planning a fitted double gas oven in a larder unit,
Just wanted to make sure you meant oven housing unit and not a larder unit which the difference is the circulation air flow from bottom to top. If you have a oven housing, just ignore this post.

Just being a pendant

Chris you can use a flexi cooker hose on an integral oven

It's a fixed appliance, so "only if it says so in the manufacturer's instructions" is wot I lernd. Has it changed? I might be wrong one day - I thought I was once - but I was right. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen anything modern that didn't connect by hose in the MI's.
Both right I'd say.

ChrisR your certainly wrong in suggesting a double oven could be fitted on 8mm gas pipe. That would be way undersized.Check the book even fitting a 4 burner hob on 8mm is pushing it.

ive never ran fixed pipework to an oven exept catering hotplates
and had work inspections on them no problem
strikes me this is all about how you do it not what you do

for f&^%s sake people just answer the mans question youre all right :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back