Subbing Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at a point where I need to bring in extra trades to help me with certain jobs, and was wondering how people approached this. Do you get the trade to invoice you on completion, and then you invoice the customer for the whole job? Are you classed as the trades "employer" during this period? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) Find the people that you are going to sub the work to
2) If they work as self-employed/sole traders then check if they are CIS registered - have a look at HMRC web site for advice on how to pay & make sure that you are sub-contracting not employing
3) If they are trading as ltd companies then pay on invoice

Be very careful about subing work and paying - if you get it wrong HMRC will come down on you like a ton of bricks. If you do it right then no problem and they are very helpful

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a chat with HMRC and see how they want me to approach it - that way there should be no issues.

I'm also likely to need some casual help during the remainder of the year, and again I'll need to understand how to approach this. The last thing I need at the moment is to be labelled an employer, and drown under the associated paperwork.

Sponsored Links
you have to be careful if you use a sub contractor a lot, as hmrc can look at it and say you are employing them due to the amount of time you use them for.

we use various subbies and it is fairly straight forward, as newboy says check with hmrc as they are very very helpful.

Biggest problem you will have is finding decent reliable ones, and when you do getting them to fit your work in!

Back