sueing DVLA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they DVLA wouldnt let me tax my car last month because THEY lost the change of owner docs so it wasnt registered to me and i didnt have log book. so ive been using my dads car. ive been told that i could sue the DVLA for inconvenience cause, extra cost to change insurance cover, cost of hire car for the period i couldnt use mine etc. any1 know if i can do this?

Sponsored Links
Can you prove that they lost the documents. E.g did you send them recorded delivery and have a signature to prove that they had been received. If not even if it is possible, you have no proof.

If you have been using your fathers car how can you try and reclaim costs for car hire, you wouldn't have any receipts? So all that you are left with is the cost to change the insurance.

Not worth the trouble and solicitors costs.

nstreet said:
Can you prove that they lost the documents. E.g did you send them recorded delivery and have a signature to prove that they had been received. If not even if it is possible, you have no proof.

If you have been using your fathers car how can you try and reclaim costs for car hire, you wouldn't have any receipts? So all that you are left with is the cost to change the insurance.

Not worth the trouble and solicitors costs.

only cost what i can prove is insurance. i could get a price for 'hiring' my dads car

i was thinkin more along the lines of 'your not allowed to pay your tax, but dont worry, the fine is in the post'

Why did you have to wait for the new log book to arrive? If you buy a vehicle, you can use the V5/2 new keepers supplement, which the previous owner should have given to you, to tax it.

Personally, I always send docs like this recorded delivery.

Sponsored Links
Too much fuss, buy new -- docs supplied -- retax at local PO if you have one ... ;)

pipme said:
Too much fuss, buy new -- docs supplied -- retax at local PO if you have one ... ;)

i now have the log book, but took wrong insurance docs so they wouldnt let me. am gettin it taxed on monday.

also got a £30 fine because its parked on a public road (i.e outside my dads house, who does not have a drive/garage)

Don't think they allow that now pipme, since the new style documents came out you need the green, proof of ownership portion, of the form which enables you tax the car.

This new method was a security change to stop people ringing cars, as we explained at the time. Unfortunately you are now going to have to go through whatever procedures DVLA have in place, their wheels are bound to move at an almost standstill, so you will have to be patient. You don't have a hope in hells chance of suing a Gov agency on something as flimsy as this.

Ian, we have spoken about this before if I remember correctly, they recently bought the car and his father failed to remove the V5/2 portion of the form, then sent it back to Swansea complete.

david and julie said:
Ian, we have spoken about this before if I remember correctly, they recently bought the car and his father failed to remove the V5/2 portion of the form, then sent it back to Swansea complete.

:LOL: Silly Billy

Sponsored Links
Back