suggestions for joint type

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you suggest best way of joining this worktop (from ikea)?
1. Mason mitre?
2. Butt with biscuits?
3. 45 degree mitre?

Thanks
02533_PE072118_S4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does it have an edge moulding or are you doing this yourself?

Hi Petewood

Looking in the catalogue, it doesn't appear to have an edge moulding. The worktop look square on all edges.
I will be fitting it myself, and although I've done "normal" worktops before, I'm not sure how mason's mitre joint will perform with the movement of a wooden worktop.
What do you think?
Thanks

I would use a butt joint with biscuits & bolts. Due to the movement in the wood the mitre part of a masons mitre can open up if the wood shrinks.

Rough cut to length with circular saw then trim rith router & straight edge or if the slot in you jig is long enough use that.

Jason

Sponsored Links
One other quick question..
before bolting the butt together, should the joint be sealed in any way?
I'm thinking that if water gets into the joint, the wood would expand.
Maybe I'm asking the same thing, but do the biscuits and bolts form the mechanical joint, or do you use something like PVA or clear silicone across the whole joint before finally bolting up?
Thanks

Biscuits keep the two surfaces level with each other, bolts hold the joint closed.

I usually use a little clear silicon to seal the joint as this still allows for timber movement, you can apply a coat of oil to the worktop edges before joining if you want, let it dry before applying the silicon

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back