Sunday night Plumbing crisis 3/4" to 22mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I never again will tackle that 'easy' job on a Sunday afternoon. I am in the process of refitting my bathroom. Complete change around so new plumbing. Everything ready for the floor to be put down apart from teeing into the 22mm feeds for the bath. So off with the water at the stopcock, drain down hot and cold. Cut the pipes and found they are 3/4 not 22mm. I have also found that trying to get away with soldering them is not a good idea (This was only meant to be a temp solution until I can get the parts). There is not much difference but enough. To be fair 3 out of the 4 joints are holding but 1 isn't. I can see all the plumbers rolling there eyes but this is the only bit of 'old' pipe I have come across in the whole house as most of the house is late 70's but some is 20's.

Anyway I have learnt my lesson and we have no water with a small baby in the house. Nowhere to get the bits tonight unless any samaritan in Basingstoke.

I am told that I can use a 22mm compression fitting with 3/4 olives to convert to 22mm, is this true and will I actually be able to get 3/4 olives anywhere tomorrow?

Sponsored Links
make use of your time now, look up a plumbers mearchant in the local paper / oriental phone book

Thanks it looks like Plumb Centre stock them. BTW I hate paying their prices but I guess they don't really want to deal with DIY'ers. If I could wait I'd go elsewhere but necessity....

A previous post appears to confirm I can use 3/4 olives in a 22mm Compression fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back