Supplementary Bonding

S

sparky40

Hello All,
Regardless of the 17th Edition, at present, can somebody tell me if water heated towel rials and radiators in bathrooms, need the bonding connections to be made to the local pipework, or must the actual rail or rad have a connection also ???.
Saw the intend rail on one of my jobs today, tubular, all chrome. Not an earth lug in sight !
Soldering needed ??
Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
If the rad is connected via low-enough resistance fittings to bonded metallic pipework then there is no reason for additional bonding. If in doubt, measure the resistance between bonded extraneous conductive parts and the rad. Less than 0.05 ohms and you're sorted.

Q? You've been asking a lot of fairly basic questions, considering your user name. Are you newly qualified/in training?

you have to bond the metal pipes where they enter the bathroom (or just outside, for example in an adjacent airing cupboard if you don't want to spoil the look of the chrome pipe).

Having done that, thay can't pick up a voltage from anything inside, since you've already bonded the CPC of the lights and any other circuits to them.

So you don't need to bond the same pipe a second time (for example, at the bath tap and the basin tap) though lots of people do.

Thanks for the info people.

Dingbat, as to your question, I worked with a sparky for some yrs. I gave it up . But I still find it interesting.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. It's just that your user name suggests you are a forty-year-old sparky! :D

(Not that there aren't a lot of 40-yr-old sparkies clueless about earthing and bonding, mind!)

And what does your username suggest ??? :LOL:

I must add that I do still go to work with the same guy whenever I can, ( weekends only,) I enjoy it, but I am not qualified.

I won some money and already had a place, I got another big house, did it up for renting, and there you go..... I must admit I was lucky as I started in the early eighties, so run down places were cheap.

sparky40 said:
And what does your username suggest ??? :LOL:

Now, now, no need to get offensive!! I'm sure Mr D Bat is a very nice chap! :LOL:

I do opologise if i sent that post sideways chaps.
I admire and respect many of the 'regulars' knowledge here, and find the posts interesting and your replies are spot on.
Personally, I did C+G elec inst years ago, and last year I did a week Domestic Installer NIC 'course' ( my mate is a qualified spark and he said it would be worth me doing it as I wasn't up to much at that time). I am not working as an electrician, I just go into work with him on weekends, and when I am free to do so.
The bloke I work for has his own NIC membership etc. And just for the record 'yes' he does always check my work !..
This is ok for me to do I take it, legally ??? I dont need to get him in to any hassle with the NIC as they seem to be very 'up thier own *rse', and I know that he has payed them a fair few quid over the years.
As I've said, I dont use it as a source of income, and payment is always in beers, and he's never late paying !!! :D
He also does very reasonable 'mates rates' on my work that I need doing on the places I rent out.
Just letting you know that I do not consider myself a qualified electrician but I do find some aspects of domestic installing interesting, :eek: (how sad is that !)
Like this towel rail question, I am wondering how is he going to get that chrome tubular rail bonded neatly, or will he just cross bond the local pipework,........ that gets me to thinking about if the rad was changed,.. or if the customer was Adam Ant about not seeing any bonding ?? I am familiar with (eeasie?) earth clamps for the bottom of conventional radiators and tenby clamps but these are no good in this situation surely ??? I might not see him for a while and will forget, and prob wont go to that job again.
My questions are only 'out of interest' on this forum.
Before you say "ask him" I questioned his every decision when I first started doing bits, but this distracted and slowed him down, now I just sit in his van and read his OSG and have a fag :confused: .
Thanks to all.

The post seams to have gone in the way of talking of plumbed in heated towel rials / radiators, i got the impression from the first post that it may be an electric one, in which case wouldnt it be a class1 device and be cross bonded from the socket rather than the rail itself! (and from the pipes as above for a wet type) -no need for direct bonding to the rail in either case.

sparky40 said:
.... water heated towel rails and radiators in bathrooms...
I think not.

Also: In a bathroom it wouldn't have a plug and socket

Also: In a bathroom the CPC of its circuit would have to be bonded to all the other stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back