Supporting a heavy ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a great looking, but rather heavy light for my lounge. The problem I have is how to fix it to the ceiling. I know the best thing would be to attach it to a joist but I don't have access to the ceiling from above to see where this is. Anyway if I moved it this would leave me with a ceiling to repair.

The ceiling itself is plasterboard - does anyone know of any kind of attachment that can be used, similar to that one might use for hanging something on a plasterboard wall.

Sponsored Links
if its THAT heavy you will should hang it from the joist. either that or new ceiling if it pulls it down, still, look on the bright side, you will then know where the joists are.

have you not tried a stud detector?

Theres a good chance that the existing rose maybe in the vicinity of a joist. If you havn't a stud detector, take out one of the screws fixing it and see if it feels like its screwed into wood.

Thanks, I know the current pendant is held by the wire only. It only had a fabric shade hanging on it before which wasn't a problem. Unless others have any suggestions - I guess I'll have to change my lighting plans

Sponsored Links
You can usually find joists with some careful tapping. Once you think you're close to a joist - and you know which way it runs - you can pin it down with some careful test drilling. A 3/32th drill is big enough and the holes are easily filled afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back