Supporting joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have just started to remove a brick chimney stack in the house, we have removed the entire section down to the upstairs floor. However it appears that 2 of the concrete joists for the floor are resting on the stack, if we remove the stack these the joists will of course be unsuported! The rest of the joists run to the lounge supporting brick wall which the chimney stack is built against. so my question is how do i extend these joists to be supported by the lounge wall?
They only need extending by about 2 foot. my initial thought was to buy some new wooden joists and run these along side the two concrete joists and then drill and bolt them together every foot length. One problem i see with that, is that the concrete joists are not sqaure which would tilt the wooden joists when bolted together.

If anyone has come accross this problem before or has a solution i would be very greatful.

Regards,

Lee

Sponsored Links
Chimneys are almost always a structural item in a property.
Which floor level are you talking about ground floor, first, second?
What type of concrete beams (inverted T's, H sections etc)?
Do these concrete beams have a screed over them?
How old is the property?
What kind of total spans?
What is the use of the property (offices/storage/residential)?

Bolting timber joists onto the concrete is not advisable.

It's the first floor in a domestic house and there is only the ground floor (base), first floor and then a loft. The house was built in the 50's and the beams are steel wire reinforced and are shaped like / \ .

I don't think there is any screed on the beams just wood on the top and bottoms to allow the plasterboard from the ceiling below to be attached and the floor boards above to be fastened down.

The beams in question span about 3 metres.

Regards,

Lee

i havent worked with these myself but I would definatly get a structural engineer too have a look and advise. they will charge you £50 per hour including traveling to and from their office to look give advice and calk the figures 1 hr max so its how long they spend traveling and chating with you that will probebly cost you the most.

Sponsored Links
You need to trim the concrete beams in some way, i would suggest with steel beams supporting the existing then fill the hole maybe with timber.
Did you goto building regs and planning?
As markthebuilder says get an engineer out.. £50/hr is cheap by the way most will charge about £60-75/hr

Ok, cheers for the advice guys, seems like this is a little more complex than anticipated. Will seek professional advice.

Thanks,

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back