Surrey Flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble with a shower, which has the pump located above it the the loft, which is not ideal I know but this is what I inherited from the previous owner. The problem is getting the hot water to flow properly, takes ages to get through from the hot water tank which is quite a way away on the other side of the building and on the ground floor, can take several minutes to get it working properly on a good day, no go on a bad one. The hot water feed to the shower comes from an ordinary T joint into another hot water pipe.

I have now discovered that by turning on the shower for about a minute last thing at night it seems to overcome the problem and hot water comes through quite quickly then and first thing in the morning. It is as if by doing this I am keeping water in the pipe ready to come through the pump and that if I don't, it seems to drain back somehow . There are no leaks anywhere. There are in fact two showers, with T joints in the pipes from the pump to divert the water to them. The second shower is hardly ever used but when it is, it has exactly the same problem.

I have read that the best place for the pump is on the floor beside the tank but also that the hot water supply should be taken from the pipe as it come out of the tank using a Surrey Flange. What I would like to ask is, what exactly is a Surrey Flange and how does it differ from an ordinary T joint?

Many thanks in advance to those who can help!

Arni

Sponsored Links
7557.gif

this screws into the top of the cylinder :D

Do a search on Surrey Flange and you'll find where I keep going on about Wessex being better and Essex best/easiest...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back