Suspended fluorescent lights, correct way to route cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting some new suspended 6ft twin lights in to my workshop, I already have conduit running to the roof above where the light will be hung but what is the correct way to run the cable from the conduit that ends at the roof down to the light? (light will be about 18" lower than the roof)

I have seen the cable just cable tied to the jack chain but I doubt this is the correct way?

Sponsored Links
jazzydan58 said:
I have seen the cable just cable tied to the jack chain but I doubt this is the correct way?
Unless you hang the fittings on conduit,then secureing the cable to the chain is about the best way to do it, I would have thought.

Mount a plug in ceiling rose on the conduit and then run the flex down the jack chain, the only way to do it unless as said before you have dome lids and solid conduit drops.

Nick

If the lights need hanging so low on chain (more than a meter or so), then you should really have considered using Lowbay fittings - Metal Halide(HQI), High Pressure Mercury (MBF) or High Pressure Sodium (SON).

Or if it was a REALLY high ceiling, some Highbays!

Sponsored Links
not forgetting if you bay is the form of the 5th letter of the alphabet, in which case it would need ebay

sorry, i will get my coat

high/lowbays would be really inconvenient when he needs to nip to his workshop just to grab something. Really inconvenient.

i did here of ome one who put a par38 in a highbay for this very reason

I quite often hang fittings chains or steel cables just so the fitting sits level when installed on a sloping ceiling, not because the roof is especially high.

Also there is the stroboscopic effect of any type of discharge light to take into account where there is moving machinery.

I thought twin fittings took care of this by correcting only one tube?
this would make them lead / lag each other and cancel the effect.. ?

They can put a phase shift capacitor in one tube to offset the flicker, spread the lamps around the phases or use HF ballasts.
The most common way I have seen is to use an incandescant work lamp next to the machine.

Spark123 said:
The most common way I have seen is to use an incandescant work lamp next to the machine.

One of my customers has incandescent lamps as main illumination for all machinery and is getting ready to fight any ban on incandescent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back