SWA armour earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have discovered that the steel armour has not been earthed on the SWA that supplies the garage. The SWA is connected to 6mm T&E at a heavy-duty JB in the loft with the steel armour cut back before the cable enters the JB. Was thinking that I could clamp the steel armour and feed an earth wire in to the earth terminal in the JB - is that feasibly OK or just silly?...if latter, what to do?

Sponsored Links
If you can, re-make the end of the swa into a gland of the correct size, this will provide a lug on a washer which can be used for the earth cable.
You only need to earth swa at one end as the armour is not to be relied on as an earth, but as protection for the cores within. So check it hasn't been earthed at the other end.

the best way is to replace the JB with an adaptable box, gland the SWA into that, the connection to the armour is then by way of a 'hoop' crimp which is connected to the banjo on the gland by bolt (banjo outside box, connector inside, M4 brass bolt through banjo, box and hoop)

Adam_151 said:
M4 brass bolt through banjo)

Depends on the size hole of the banjo ;) I carry M6 and M8 in brass as standard as well, and obviously use bigger again on big boy cables.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...but i need some pics to understand better...can't help it, but i'm visualising george George Formby on a box playing a banjo, swinging a hoop on the hard shoulder of the M4 from what You've said! :confused: :) ...knew i shouldn't have had that joint! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back