SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me where I can get a table of information on the equivalent CSA of SWA cables armour e.g is 16mm 3 core cables armour equivalent to 6mm yellow green earth wire I'm after a table that gives this info

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
and what is an adiabic ( sp? ) equation?

An adiabatic equation is a term used that was adopted from thermodynamics and refers to any reaction or equation where there is no net loss or gain by one of the elements in that reaction/equation.

Many calculations in Airconditioning are adiabatic as the expansion or contraction of the gases involved does add or remove energy from the gases to facilitate a temperature change, it is achieved by either expansion or contraction of the respective gas. In the electrical field there are several equations that are adiabatic as there is no net gain or loss of energy. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
The adiabatic equation assumes that all heat energy generated during a high current fault (short circuit) remains in the cable.
It can be used to find the time taken for a cable to reach its maximum safe temperature (without causing damage) so that it can be ascertained that the protective device will operate before this time.
It can also, on transposition, determine the size of conductor to be used for a given fault current.
Some assumptions have to be done as to know fault current you need impedances, but to know impedance you have to have conductor sizes so it can be reasonably involved!

It is referring to S = Sqrt(I²t)/K , where S = minimum size of SWA conductor, I = fault current, t=fault duration and K is the K value for the steel armour. Like ricicle says, it can be pretty involved!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back