Switch does nothing! safe to remove??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single switch which appears to do nothing! all my lights work through other switches....I just seem to have a spare on the wall!!

Would you recommend removing and filling the hole, or actually putting some time into finding what it originally did?!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
well you cant fill it untill you know the cable to it are dead. there are rules about live cables only running vertically and horizontaly from acessories and in the corners and top edge of the wall -this is so you dont hit a live cable putting a picture hook etc in the wall, if you fill it there will be nothing to say the cables are there.

so its up to you:

1) leave it as it is.

2) put some time in to ensure its dead, then fill it.

the confusing thing is that it was in the downstairs bathroom which i thought had to have a pull chord?

Think i'll just remove it!

Might need to start a manual on where potential hazards in the house might be!!

Thanks
Ben

sm1thson said:
well you cant fill it untill you know the cable to it are dead.

He's right.

Why did you ask?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I know it's a long shot, but it is not a fan isolator switch by any chance ??

Is the mystery switch at a position and height on the wall similar to your other light switches?

Are you sure the control is a light switch and not a FCU?

A switch has to have a live cable in and another cable that is being switched. Have you actually taken the facia of this switch and confirmed that it has any wires going to it. (If there are no wires inside, then i would say that it is safe to fill!!)

Yeah, i've taken off the cover and there are wires going to it.

It is normal height for a light switch (but also there is a pull chord in the same room)

There is only 1 light in the room, no fan, one pull chord that works the light and then the 'other switch'!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back