Switched Fused Connection Unit + Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2370W oven that need to be installed. The problem is that the location of it is far from the consumer unit and the previous owners had not installed a 30 Amp ring for the previous oven (also small). I have litle chance of creating a 30 Amp ring and was wondering if instead I could take a spur off the kitchen ring (comprising 4 double sockets only) to a Switched 13 Amp Fused Connection Unit. The Maximum wattage of which is 3000W. Is this at all safe or am I in danger of setting my house on fire???

Sponsored Links
Have you informed Building Control Section at your Council? (Part P).

Safe way is to run a circuit from a B16 MCB, in at least 2.5.sq.mm. cable to a 13-amp Fuse-Connection unit beside the oven unit. then use 1.5.sq.mm. heat resisting flex to connect FCU to Oven (Not longer than 2m Flex allowed).

3000watts is fine on a 13A plug. You can just plug it in like an applience.
If you go down Kai's route, a new cooker circuit is notifiable under part P.
(PS proper cooker circuits are not rings, but radials - only one set of wires betweeen fuseboard and cooker point.
If you were to go to the hassle of putting one in, put in a decent sized cable, so a hob could be fitted in the future)

cheers guys for replying so quickly!

I shan't be creating a new cooker circuit due to time, and experience constraints. That is unless I have already created a new cooker circuit by taking a spur from the plug socket that powered the old oven (plug in) and fed the 13Amp Switched Fused Connection Unit which has the oven hardwired to it.

Can you clear up whether I need to inform Building Control having this arrangement or have I essentially just plugged the oven in but put a fuse into the circuit as added protection??

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Your local authority will be the only people who can answer that finally for your case, but I'd suggest if you have already done it, then forgetting to mention it to them now is probably the minimum hassle policy, though not strictly legal - but I and many others will not shop you !
I fear if you do wake the council up, if they are like the folk round here they will say 'oh yes that is certainly notifiable, so £200 quid please" and then try and persuade you to have their sparks in to test it at additional vast expense, which considering you could have just put a plug on it and be damned, or do it for free in December seems a bit rich.
Your call I'm afraid.

Maybe I'll just undo what I've done and simply put a plug on then. It seems a little less safe to me but for legalities I guess it should be done!

Thanks again for your help with the matter.

Many things become more dangerous when part P is followed to the letter -
this is my main objection to it - it is NOT encouraging electrical safety at all, but, at least at the current rates of charging for inspections, it encourages the increased use of extensions and flexes as "temporary permanent" wiring instead of something properly fixed in proper wiring cable.

If you feel strongly please write to your MP and the ODPM. They deserve to know what a wonderful job they are doing on our behalf, with our hard earned money.

you MP can be found here
http://www.writetothem.com/
and the ODPM contact is Phil hope MP, in his capacity as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the ODPM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back