Switched live wire for lights - colour coding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Is it ok to use standard 1.5mm T&E for the switched live wire to the wall switch and just strip off the blue insulation and fit a piece of brown insulation over it at both ends?

Will this meet regs or should I invest in additional cable?

BTW - This is for a new extension so must be up to 16th Regs.

Sponsored Links
Mornin!
Yes, normal t&e will be fine. Don't strip off any more insulation than normal though, you will find that the brown sleeving slips easily over the blue insulation.
P.S Building Control know about the extension I take it? ;)

I pefer to use a red/brown tag, or short outer sleeve, because it then clearly indicates that the wire is normally safe to touch, but is occasionally switched to a live condition. If you were to indicate that the switched live wire is permanently live (by making it look like a live wire) someone else in future years will be faced with 2 "live" wires during maintenance, which could cause confusion.

Sponsored Links
kevnurse said:
I pefer to use a red/brown tag, or short outer sleeve, because it then clearly indicates that the wire is normally safe to touch, but is occasionally switched to a live condition. If you were to indicate that the switched live wire is permanently live (by making it look like a live wire) someone else in future years will be faced with 2 "live" wires during maintenance, which could cause confusion.

I would have thought in a light switch or connection block it would be obviosus there would be two lives? (Potentialy live)

So there is no reg for this?

I think you made it sound as though you were going to strip off ALL the blue insulation and replace it with brown sleeving. ;)
This would have made it look as though there were two permanent lives, at a quick glance.

Hello Bernard,

The regs state 'so long as it is clearly identifiable for testing, inspection, repair or alteration, and its durable.' Which these 'idents' are in my opinion, I am not sure about what 'complying' with BS3858 involves though to be honest.

I have used these in panel wiring and on non domestic jobs in the past, I started to use them in domestic consumer units, as 'number roll's' in my opinion are useless, and these are pretty cheap and if using a crimp lug too, there is no chance of them slipping off.

:LOL:

Maybe leaving some 'blue' will not confuse the electrician if he just glances at it ( i doubt it will anyway !) if you dont do exactly the same at the the other end ,as he may go looking for a 'brown/brown' cable :LOL: :LOL:

i preffer small rings of color, they indicate that its a live wire without hiding which wire it is inside the cable.

I have heard that certain 'organisations', NIC to name one, do not regard 'tape' as acceptable

As long as tape is permanent what's the problem EIT(IEE) make the regs not NIC etc. As long as it satisfies 'identification of conductors' reg.

Becuase over time the adhesive on tape dries out and can fall off. Sleeving will stay on for ever.

DESL said:
As long as tape is permanent what's the problem
iirc the niceic don't consider tape to be peramanent because of its tendancy to dry out and fall off.

as long as the wire remains in the connection sleeving simply cannot come off.

There's an echo in here...here.....here......here....her.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back