Syphonic WC suite - info needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Armitage Shanks syphonic WC (1970's vintage) which is becoming difficult to flush - I think the diaphragm in the syphon is faulty because the lever flaps around for a few goes before the flush kicks in (have tried increasing the water level in the cistern but doesn't fix it). I need to remove the syphon mechanism from the cistern to get at the diaphragm but it doesn't want to come out :rolleyes: .

In many cisterns I've seen the syphon mechanism is a push fit into the outlet, but before I get really physical and try and wrench it out, does anyone know if the A/S Syphonic has a backnut or something below the cistern? The alternative is to completely remove the cistern to get underneath.

Sponsored Links
You'll have to take the cistern off the pan. In the process you'll most likely damage the syphonic device (not the flushing syphon but the bit that makes the syphonic pan work). It sits in the joint between the cistern flush outlet and the pan flush inlet. I think you might be able to get spares, but best to lift the cistern up very carefully to avoid damaging it.

Bog in a box @ Focus DIY...............under £60.00 :LOL:

Thanks - Ok, will start taking the whole thing apart. A lot of aggro just for a syphon diaphragm.

Reckon I'll fit a service valve on the cistern feed wheat the same time - looking at other posts on this site it seems the double trap syphonics aren't the easiest to get right - I may be taking the cistern on and off a few times!!!

Sponsored Links
I have an Armitage Shanks syphonic WC (1970's vintage) which is becoming difficult to flush - I think the diaphragm in the syphon is faulty because the lever flaps around for a few goes before the flush kicks in (have tried increasing the water level in the cistern but doesn't fix it). I need to remove the syphon mechanism from the cistern to get at the diaphragm but it doesn't want to come out :rolleyes: .

In many cisterns I've seen the syphon mechanism is a push fit into the outlet, but before I get really physical and try and wrench it out, does anyone know if the A/S Syphonic has a backnut or something below the cistern? The alternative is to completely remove the cistern to get underneath.
:) i have succesfully repaired a cistern of this type with parts i have aquired including an airex valve and a ten inch turbo 88 cyphon this was a two man job as the cistern had to be lowered to locate both coupling bolts plus the airex to slide into the top of the bend

Hi DP

Welcome to the forums. You may notice that the post you have replied to is slightly out of date! :LOL: and breezer will chastise you soon! :LOL:

Welcome on board :D

:)

i have succesfully repaired a cistern of this type with parts i have aquired including an airex valve and a ten inch turbo 88 cyphon this was a two man job as the cistern had to be lowered to locate both coupling bolts plus the airex to slide into the top of the bend

I need some information recently posted regarding the airex valve - I am in South Africa (Durban) but regrettfully my cistern which is also (1970`s)
has a flushing problem, the plumber says I need an airex valve to solve the problem however these parts are not available in RSA now. I have a colleague going to the UK (London area) shortly and have requested that he try to purchase this valve for me - but need to know who the suppliers are; part numbers etc. Would I also need the ten inch turbo 88 cyphon as described in your article.

Bog in a box @ Focus DIY...............under £60.00
small2

Jesus i thought focus went under years ago lol must just not be any near me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back