system freezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is driving me crazy :evil:

Pentium III 866MHz machine, 256MB RAM, Win XP (+SP2). About 4 years old.

Randomly (typically once or twice in an evening) the machine will freeze. No error message - the display just locks up. Complete system freeze. Only way out is to reset by holding down the power switch for a few seconds.

There's no pattern to this - seems completely random. Nothing shows up in event manager. No recent software or hardware additions that might have caused this. It's been happening for a few months, but has got worse recently.

I've checked inside the case to make sure it's not an overheating problem. CPU and case fans are clean and working normally.

Occasionally when the system freezes, the display becomes slightly garbled, so I'm thinking it may be a dodgy graphics card. But I don't want to buy a new card unless I know for sure this is the problem.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Sponsored Links
Also check the voltages on your PSU with a multimeter.

Do this while the PC is runnning. You should make sure that you are not overloading your PSU.

Reseat all memory, graphics cards, expansion cards, and the CPU.

Clean any excessively dusty components, using compressed air, or a low powered vacuum cleaner/one on a very low suction setting.

Check the motherboard is fully stood off the case, and it is not possible for it to touch the case, and check your PSU is screwed in firmly onto the case.

IanJ said:
This is driving me crazy :evil:
Occasionally when the system freezes, the display becomes slightly garbled, so I'm thinking it may be a dodgy graphics card. But I don't want to buy a new card unless I know for sure this is the problem.

Any suggestions, anyone?

My _guess_ is that it is the graphics card. And it is a guess!
Often, in my experience, the things that cause complete system freezes like you
mention are low-level things like device drivers or lower still, the hardware itself.

If nothing has changed (unlikely as you've probably done Windows updates) then
I would suggest trying another graphics card. But that will cost money. Can you
try your card in another machine or vice versa? Other than that, like the other person said, try installing a newer driver for your graphics card, or disable some of its
more advanced features (if it has any, e.g. OpenGL stuff???).

Finally, personally, I wouldn't fiddle too much with other things, especially hardware-wise until you've tried the simple and obvious things. I wouldn't want you to inadvertently break something else you see.

Good luck with it.

Sponsored Links
Always a tricky one to diagnose without seeing it.

The most common causes we see for this type of fault in our workshop are thermal creep, where contraction/expansion caused by the system heating up and cooling down, causes the cards to rise from their slots. This seems to occur more with AGP adaptors that don't have a locking slot, but can equally apply to others. Try removing the cards and memory and sweeping the slots with a clean, dry paintbrush before replacing.

If it occurs when the processor is under heavy load (eg. a graphic intensive game), it could be due to processor overheat, even momentarily. Over time, this leads to processor instability, which is usually permanent (especially with Athlons).

For this type of problem, you need to make some notes, such as system on time, any noises (however loud or quiet, clunks and clicks etc), a list of what has been run and for how long (during the session until it abends).

Sounds boring I know, but PC diags are sometimes like that.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm now pretty convinced the problem is heat-related.

I've double-checked all drivers etc and there are no problems. PSU checks out fine. I opened the case this morning and gave it all a good clean - to be honest it wasn't that dusty, but when I removed the RAM I did find a lot of dust inside the slots. It's all nice and clean now, and I've had the machine running all day without the case (out of reach of the kids :rolleyes: )- no problems at all (just recently it's been freezing at least a couple of times a day, even with the machine at idle).

The problem isn't stress-related (although it sure stresses me :confused: ) - as I've said, it happens equally often when the machine is idle as when it's in heavy use (although I'm not into any heavy gaming stuff). When it does happen, the machine makes a slightly more high-pitched noise than normal - but I don't know if that's down to one of the fans, or the hard disk, or what.

I'll also try re-siting the tower slightly to give it more room to breathe (although it wasn't particulary hemmed it before).

Thanks again for all the advice.

you could always add another fan, mine has 2 extra ones (built pc from scratch)

Hi

What system scans tools do you have :?: :?: :?: :?:
What antivirus do you have ??? is it up todate :?: :?: :?: :?:
What antispy software do you have :?: :?: :?: :?:
Do you defrag your system and give good software clean out every week :?: :?: :?: :?:

if you have all the above and do maintain it it may be hardware or software related (bad harddrive) mind the life is about 3 to 4 years

What i would sugest is a fresh install of your winxp if you have the above :!:
or :?: :?:
What you have to remember windows isnt the great written of software but we need it to a certain degree, but what we have to do is do maintenance on a weekly bases to keep going good.

Oh b*gger. I'm back to square one.

Thought it was heat related - can't be. It was stable for a couple of days - tonight it's been locking up on average every 10 mins. I'm typing this quick, before it does it again :cry: .

Hard disk was defraged recently. Running Norton AV 2005, all up-to-date. Win XP SP2. System is generally pretty clean and well-maintained ... at least, I thought so ... :rolleyes:

I'm seriously considering buying a new tower, rather than spend out various chunks of cash (and lots of time) chasing up blind alleys.
Does anyone have any suggestions before I get my credit card out (not sure it can take the strain :oops: )

At least all my data's safely backed up onto my shiny new external hard drive ...

why not just get a new graphics card, if it stil doesnt solve the problem you can use it in your new pc

IanJ said:
At least all my data's safely backed up onto my shiny new external hard drive ...

New? could this new addition be the prob?

Try removing any other ancillary devices too, sometimes peripherals can cause allsorts of probs (USB hub had me pulling my hair out for weeks with random crashing)

A long time ago, I also discovered the fault with my keyboard locking out... Our pet rabbit had chewed the cable... :eek: Don't ask!

OK - looks like it's time to go back to basics (again) and test plugging in the peripherals one by one until the system locks. Problem is that it's so unpredictable - it can go a couple of days and be fine - so I may be there some time! I guess it's better to do that all over again, before I start spending my hard-earned cash.

It's not a problem with the new external drive - problem pre-dates that by a long way - I bought it as a means of backup, as I'm scared the PC is just going to die on me.

Although I'm running Norton Internet Security (including AV) which is all up-to-date, I don't have any PC clean-up software ... should I get some? If so, what's recommended? I used some years ago that completely b*ggered the PC I had at the time, so it makes me nervous ... :confused:

Sorry, I don't really have time to look through all the replies, so probably shouldn't (but will) stick my size 9's in until I've done so. The first thing that sprang to mind was in your initial post when you said you hadn't added any software or hardware for months. Well what about SP2, how can you call a 90 - 200mb upgrade not adding software. I think as a first stop, you need to check and update all your device drivers, the windows update site may be a goood start.

BTW, is it XP Home or Pro?

Eddie - what I meant to say was I haven't added any software/hardware that has demonstrably caused or contributed to the problem. The system was randomly locking up long before I installed SP2 - actually, I was hoping that by installing it I might also help sort out the problem :oops: . It's no better or worse for SP2, or an upgrade to Norton Internet Security I installed a while ago.
All device drivers are up-to-date, all current Windows updates in place.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back