System info /Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just bought a new house with oil CH. The radiators in one half of the house come on when the CH is selected and the other half only come on when the HW is selected is this a normal system?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have two heating zones, but what about the hot water? Is that controlled separately or is linked into one of the heating zones?

hi thanks. have a Siemens RWB9 programmer when the CH is selected it heats half the house and when the HW is selected it heats the other half and also the hot water. problem is if i leave the hot water cylinder thermostat attached only the water heats but if you remove it from the clinder then the water and the radiators get hot. I presume this isnt right?

That doesn't sound right, but I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Although the programmer has 2 timed zones, there may actually be 3 zones - 2 heating zones and the hot water zone. Can you find and describe the motorised valves which will probably be on the flow pipe after the pump. You might have a single 3 port valve or two or three 2 port valves. I'm assuming that it is a fully pumped system, but the hot water loop might be gravity.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, sorry for the delay in answering.
I have checked and the only thing i can find is a grey box marked Drayton Mid position actuator part number is MA1. Does this help?

WOuldn't be the first time someone finds another valve hidden away which just does HW.
Can you follow thw pipes from the valve, eg to the cylinder?
How is the "heating" split - up and down might be by design.

Can follow the pipes most of the way but there doesnt seem to be any other valves. sorry how do you mean " how is the heating split"? thanks

Thanks, sorry for the delay in answering.
I have checked and the only thing i can find is a grey box marked Drayton Mid position actuator part number is MA1. Does this help?
maybe a long shot, but it might be a very old Drayton Flowshare valve .....point being they don`t Spring return like modern ones ........and if it`s old there may be a internal wiring problem ........best to give Drayton an email?.........Just an idea, might be completely wrong ;) Not in East Sussex :?: I fitted a few way back in the mists of time .

maybe a long shot, but it might be a very old Drayton Flowshare valve

I think you will find that the MA1 is the current actuator.

However, I don't think this explains the OP's problem which is strange to say the least.

What is needed is either a photo showing the cylinder, valve pump etc or a sketch (using MS Paint and save as a jpg) showing how it is all plumbed together.

baluachrach said:
have a Siemens RWB9 programmer when the CH is selected it heats half the house and when the HW is selected it heats the other half and also the hot water. problem is if i leave the hot water cylinder thermostat attached only the water heats but if you remove it from the clinder then the water and the radiators get hot. I presume this isnt right?

Which are the two halves of the house which get heated separately?Upstairs/Downstairs or what?

The RWB9 can be used with either fully pumped or with gravity HW pumped CH. This is set by the dipswitches on the back. Switch 5 is UP for fully pumped and DOWN for gravity+pumped. Check which it is, but don't change.

My thought is that some of the radiators may be on a gravity fed circuit together with the HW cylinder.

Is the house new construction or just new to you?

Are there any signs that the CH system has been altered? e.g different rads in one part compared to the other etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back