Tap running freely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a pair of pillar taps in my bathroom (http://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/XC12). One of them (the hot one) started dripping a little. In an attempt to stop it I closed it tighter. This had the opposite effect to that intended and now the tap is running at full volume and I can't turn it off.

I'm unfortunately unable to turn off my water supply - I've found various taps and they're all either broken or frozen up. But I can unscrew the top of the tap completely and the water release isn't too bad, for a few seconds at least. As far as I can see in the tap there's not much of a washer to replace, just a small one which looks perfectly OK. So perhaps something in the tap just needs realigning?

Anyone know how these taps work and how I go about fixing them? It's been free for about 12 hours now and the waste of water is awful. I can get a plumber but he'll probably take a day to arrive.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is if it goes through a water meter.

Take the handle off it may be just the shaft slipping.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is if it goes through a water meter.

Take the handle off it may be just the shaft slipping.

No, not going through a meter fortunately. The handle is just a screw on thing which you can see in the pictures on the link, so I don't think that's important. I can take the top off and I think I need to fix something in that. But one of my neighbours has a stopcock which turns off the water to the whole block of flats so planning to use that tomorrow so I can look inside without getting too wet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I think you're right, the shaft has slipped. I've taken the tap apart and put it back together and when it screws back it does so at the wrong angle. So I just need to figure out how to realign the shaft.

Sponsored Links