tap with pull out spray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a kitchen sink tap with a pull out spray (not a particularly expensive one. )

My friend rekons that after time the pull out bit will just stretch and end up hanging off the end of the tap. Anyone got any experience of this happening?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The why is because you can sink the shower head into contaminated water (your washing up)

and as to why they are still selling, well they still sell portsmouth valves and outside taps with an integral check valve so I dont know

:)

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
well they still sell portsmouth valves and outside taps with an integral check valve so I dont know
Eh? Did I miss something? Are they outlawed?

The taps I have fitted in the past have a heavy weight attached to the hose below the sink - this pulls the hose in tight. You need to make sure the hose is free underneath the sink so the weight doesn't snag on pipes etc.

Perfectly legal to fit but to comply must have double check valves on the hot/cold inlets to stop backflow. Some of these taps incorporate single/double check valves in the tap head/valve inlets so sometimes you just need to add single checks to comply.

Pt1 float valves are legal if and additional check valve is fitted AFAIK.

Thanks. The tap spec says it's fitted with a single check valve so will my plumber know to fit another one, or should I ask him to.

He's just run pipes to where my washing machine is going to go and it's all copper - I don't see what looks like single or double check valves on them. Where would they be positioned?

Softus said:
corgiman said:
well they still sell portsmouth valves and outside taps with an integral check valve so I dont know
Eh? Did I miss something? Are they outlawed?

not outlawed soft but they do not confirm to water regs as well you know

portsmouth = part 1 ballvalve bs 1212 etc

and the outside tap according the regs must not have a check valve within it but MUST be served by a double check valve located within the property

see I have been reading lmao

corgiman said:
and the outside tap according the regs must not have a check valve within it but MUST be served by a double check valve located within the property
No - this time I wasn't playing Devil's Advocate, really I wasn't.

I seem to have slipped on the outside tap/DCV thing - do you have a reference to a section in the WRegs?

Not right now as me book is the the van and I am too fat, lazy and piiissed to get it will look it up tomorrow for you as I am a thoroughly nice chap :)

corgiman said:
...will look it up tomorrow for you as I am a thoroughly nice chap :)
Indeed you are. Nice enough for both of us actually, which is lucky 'cos I'm a b*stard. :evil:

Softus said:
corgiman said:
...will look it up tomorrow for you as I am a thoroughly nice chap :)
Indeed you are. Nice enough for both of us actually, which is lucky 'cos I'm a b*stard. :evil:

bloody good job aint it

LMAO

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

if not give WIAPS a call they will tell u

corgiman said:
Lots of things don't confirm to Water Regs. The important point to note is that it is not neccesarily an item that does not conform to regs, but the way in which it is installed. An extending hose is perfectly acceptable providing the backflow prevention is of a standard suitable for the application and fluid risk that is present - in the home environement this would usually mean a double check valve. In a commercial laundry or laboratory this would require tank supply not mains...
[A good example of non-compliance in normal installation is garden hoses - they only comply with regs if fitted with a trigger device that cuts out when released...]

The taps with integral check valves are for use on existing installations (ie those that existed prior to current regs 1999) to provide backflow protection making the installation compliant.

New installations require service/isolation valve + double check valve within thermal envelope of a building.

BoxBasher said:
corgiman said:
Lots of things don't confirm to Water Regs. The important point to note is that it is not neccesarily an item that does not conform to regs, but the way in which it is installed. An extending hose is perfectly acceptable providing the backflow prevention is of a standard suitable for the application and fluid risk that is present - in the home environement this would usally mean a double check valve.
[A good example of non-compliance in normal installation is garden hoses - they only comply with regs if fitted with a trigger device that cuts out when released...]

The taps with integral check valves are for use on existing installations (ie those that existed prior to current regs 1999).

New installations require service/isolation valve + double check valve within thermal envelope of a building.

what kind of protection extemps these tap, which as I remember falls under the same regs as a Bidet with a shower attachment which is a defo no no ?

Also it is my understand that ANY replacement valve tap etc etc MUSt conform as if its a new install irevelant of whether it is a replacement?

Dont get me wrong I am not being Billy Big Bananas as may have it wrong as I rarely lock horns with any plumbing these days but am sure I am right.

:)

corgiman said:
what kind of protection extemps these tap, which as I remember falls under the same regs as a Bidet with a shower attachment which is a defo no no ?

It is the Fluid Category that determines the installation:

Kitchen sink would be classified as Fluid Category 3 - DCV

Bidet is Fluid Category 5 which would require a far more complex arrangement. Ascening spray bidets are perfectly legal - it is just the installation that usually renders them undesirable.

For Softus (I have a book in the van and one spare in my work bag)...

I rarely lock horns with any plumbing these days

me neither, but Ilock horns with plenty of plumbers...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back