Technique for wiring lights and getting cables to fit ?

P

pna

Hi all,
I recently replaced a single pendant light with a low voltage halogen unit and it works, however the new light fitting had very little space inside to accomodate the wiring and I wondered if others had a better way of doing things...

The new light only needed live+neutral connections, but as there was no space to fit the light over the existing rose (due to the transformer), I removed the rose and used chocblock to connect the earths/ lives together (respectively), and then connected the neutrals and switched live to the light fitting. The wires just fit into the base of the light but it was a bit of a struggle.

Would I have been better off putting the rose into the attic space void, feeding the standard wire through the ceiling and into the light fitting (once I'd removed the fitting for the lightbulb) ? Or should I just leave it as it is??

Sponsored Links
Well I hope no-one raises problems with the "putting the rose in the attic" option. I have several of those. It is a lot easier than trying to force an impossible number of connections into a tiny fitting. As far as I was concerned, the rose in the attic was just as good, if not better, than using chocblock.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back