Telegraph poles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over this weekend British telecom erected 2 telegraph poles on the pavement near my house.
Prior to the work somebody from telecom had been round and marked 2 circles near a fence on the pavement ,presumably to show where the poles should be placed.
However the engineers have installed the poles at kerbside edge of the pavement and to me it doesn't look quite right.
All the lights on the pavement are right up to the fences or hedgerows of the houses.
My point is, I was under the impression that there was some rule whereby for safety reasons any pavement furniture should not be at the kerb edge.
Am I right or what. I couldn't ask the engineers because they had gone before I saw what they had done.

Sponsored Links
"They" replaced the streetlights on our road a few years back. They also repositioned them, so that one was to be outside my neighbour's driveway edge, but at the kerb, which would make driving in and out a nightmare. He went out and asked them to move it to the wall, which, a phone call later, they did.

There is no rule regarding this though. Walk around your locality on different types of roads, you'll see some are on the edge, some are set back. ;) Think about bus stops too, some are at the kerbside, with glass facing the road, some are set back, the glass facing away from the road.

Thinking about the number of services buried in the roadways... Gas, Water, electrickery, storm drains, foul drains, telecomms, cable tv, etc, etc. The surprising thing is if there's anywhere left to put any street farniture, let alone any choice as to where it goes.

We have 4 extra poles last year down our road and it's just behind the kerb in the grass verge. I'm guessing they are all the same.

I've spoken to the telecom engineer what is the idea of it; apparently one engineer was killed when a lorry caught the phone wire across the road to the property. The phone wire are now have to be horizontal across the road instead of a angle

They have over 250,000 poles to put it!

Sponsored Links
i have seen safety engineers going about with a telescopic rod which they hold vertical. it's about 6m long and is used to determine the height of overhead wires.

couldn't tell you what it was all about though.

noseall said:
i have seen safety engineers going about with a telescopic rod which they hold vertical. it's about 6m long and is used to determine the height of overhead wires.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Hope it was plastic :eek:

noseall said:

I met one of these poor chaps a year or so ago at the end of our drive. Looked very suspicious as he was peering at houses. His job was to check every telephone wire crossing above a public highway was higher than the specified minimum.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

In days of olde, when knights were bold , and women were`nt invented ..............they drilled holes in telegraph poles and had to be contented :eek: ........graffitti from my old school bog ........c.1969 :confused:

I remember when they got rid of the overhead 'lectric cables on our street, and the day when they cut down the 5 cables that had always run down our street. The cables made a very satisfying twanging sound when the workmen cut through them, and they fell to their fate. :) :LOL: And I remember being surprised by how rigid the cables appeared when they were rolling them up, the rolls were about 3 foot diameter.

drspock said:
Over this weekend British telecom erected 2 telegraph poles on the pavement near my house.
Prior to the work somebody from telecom had been round and marked 2 circles near a fence on the pavement ,presumably to show where the poles should be placed.
However the engineers have installed the poles at kerbside edge of the pavement and to me it doesn't look quite right.
All the lights on the pavement are right up to the fences or hedgerows of the houses.
My point is, I was under the impression that there was some rule whereby for safety reasons any pavement furniture should not be at the kerb edge.
Am I right or what. I couldn't ask the engineers because they had gone before I saw what they had done.

If there is enough room to push a wheelchair past then the poles are OK.

If not then they need to be moved

neb, you spelt your name wrong, IIRC.

nebuchadnezzer springs to mind as the right spelling, though im sure there are variants.

Sponsored Links
Back