Terracing a sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can I have some advice as a gardening novice. I have a back garden that slopes up away from my house. At present there are concrete steps leading up the middle and each side is grassed. The layout is slope/middle flat bit/slope/bottom flat bit/slope. It makes mowing the garden tricky to say the least. The garden is approx 40' wide by 50' length.

If I tried to put walls where the slopes were could I use the decorative concrete blocks - or would they not be man enough? They would need to be approx 3' tall

Would I need proper foundations? If so to what depth?

Is this a job for a complete novice or would I be best advised getting an expert in?
What else can I do to make it as maintenance free as possible - would the cost of patioing the flat bits be prohibitive?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Does this help to give you some idea?

wall02.gif

Thank you to both Thermo and masona for their help. The project continues!

Sponsored Links
Sorry - not sure how to upload photos - but if you imagine the water slides that undulate (though not as steep obviously!) that's what the sloping is like. I thought if I could get rid of the slopes by building a couple of little walls, I could then progress to perhaps putting slabs/chippings on the flat bits - ideally a maintenance free garden!
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back