Testing an Earth rod, with wait for it..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to bang a rod in as a temporary earth at a mates house, due to the lack of an earth connection from YEDL at the moment. To get a rough idea of the impediance I measured it using my loop tester.. Whats an acceptable value doing it this way? Im getting 0.63 at the moment, and the ground is nice and damp ;) and didnt shift the value.. - Please remember its temporary - Until they come out.. so I dont particuarly want to mess around with multiple rods.

Shame as the lead water pipe reads 0.36! Nor do I want to rely on this as is currently done, as you know how these temporary measures go..

David

Sponsored Links
dw3101 said:
I've had to bang a rod in as a temporary earth at a mates house, due to the lack of an earth connection from YEDL at the moment. To get a rough idea of the impediance I measured it using my loop tester.. Whats an acceptable value doing it this way? Im getting 0.63 at the moment, and the ground is nice and damp ;) and didnt shift the value.. - Please remember its temporary - Until they come out.. so I dont particuarly want to mess around with multiple rods.

Shame as the lead water pipe reads 0.36! Nor do I want to rely on this as is currently done, as you know how these temporary measures go..

David

Just out of curiosity what was the loop ?. One probe of the meter on the earth rod obviously but where did you put the other probe to complete the circuit to the ground.

bernard green said:
Just out of curiosity what was the loop ?. One probe of the meter on the earth rod obviously but where did you put the other probe to complete the circuit to the ground.

dw3101 said:
The meter isnt that advanced! ;)

David

If it is a meter that can make a resistance reading with just one probe then it is so far advanced it is ahead of Star Trek and Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver.

All meters have to have at least two probes to make a circuit......

Sponsored Links
I'd guess he's doing an EFLI measurement between L & E at the CU isolator. But I may be guessing wrongly, of course.

Too good TBH - Suspect parallel paths, or the rod is banged in very close to the Lead pipe :LOL:

main bonding should be disconnected first before the rod is tested to give a true reading

And that reading must not be more than 200Ohms. And you must have 30mA RCD protection if you cannot guarantee disconnection times will be met without one.

securespark said:
And you must have 30mA RCD protection if you cannot guarantee disconnection times will be met without one.

Only on the socket circuits.
100mA for 5s disconnect ccts
(sorry I,m on the 2391 this week) :LOL:

Yes, but there's nothing wrong in temporarily giving the whole supply 30mA protection, rather than two RCD's. :LOL: :LOL:

ELZ4742 said:
main bonding should be disconnected first before the rod is tested to give a true reading

Not just main bonding - EVERYTHING! Test to the cable to rod ONLY - take it out of the earth bar, or drop the link that are in decent DB's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back