TESTING FOR INHIBITOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL,
COULD SOMEONE ADVICE ME AS TO THE BEST TEST KIT FOR CHECKING HEATING SYSTEMS FOR ADDITIVES. AND THE BEST PLACE TO BUY IT. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
COOKYMAN.

Sponsored Links
I belieeeve that the sentinel and fernox kits only test for their own chemicals
COuld be used as what someone called "white bullsh*t" though. "Your system is low on Fernox inhibitor sir look my kit says so".

is there anyting on the market that covers most inhibiters chris??

I have always used the fernox stuff and have attended their courses and they say that theirs will pick up on sentinell, salamander and a few others, it atleast gives you an idea of it though.

If it shows none put some in

Sponsored Links
thanks for that chrisR
i know each kit test for its own inhibitor,but i would like some helpful advice. this is an insurance issue and i would like to be ready for the usual C... from these people.

you can send a sample to fenox's lab cooky and for about 50 they will do a very thorough analysis.

The kits that are used on site are really only good for a indication nothing more

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON THE WEB FOR TETS KITS BUT NO LUCK. SOME THERE BUT NO PRICE. FERNOX SITE I CANT GET INTO. I JUST WANT TO BUY ONE DO THE TEST AND THEN SEE WHAT COMES OF IT. I RECON THAT THERE IS NO INHIBITOR IN THE SYSTEM AND I AM LOOKING AT OVER £1000:00 TO SORT THIS OUT :eek:

£1000 to add inhibitor?

If its an important question then you must get Fernox to do the test and give you a written report.

No one is going to believe what you say if its a critical situation. A plumber is not going to be trusted to give the true answer if he stands to gain £1000.

You dont seem to have read and understood what you have been told above! Each manufacturers kits only test for their own products!

Tony

PS Why do you post in capitals? Didnt you learn the little letters?

A quick amateur test while you sort out a kit:

Drain a little water out of the syst into a jam jar. Put a bright steel nail or a scrap of wire wool into it. Look and see if it goes rusty.

This is a rough and ready method. Wire wool will go rusty in minutes in ordinary water. Fernox used to recommend that you added plain water to dilute by 50% so you had a safety margin to allow for top-ups before the next test. I usually leave a jar with a nail on it (and the date written on) on my garage shelf to remind me to do it from time to time.

P.S.

caplock.jpg

I had a long discussion at interbuild with the Aqueous Logic inhibitor rep (knew his stuff).

He said it is virtually impossible to have a single kit to test all the different inhibitors on the market. They only vary slightly from one another but the way they work can be very different. Some coat the wall of the rads/pipework, some prevent the oxygen from reacting, some a bit of both.

Interestingly he said it suited the two well known brands not to have any formal standard (remember A. Logic had to go the monopolies commission when Benchmark was launched)

Just drain down and refill with the correct dose of inhibitor if your unsure and steer clear of the cheaper brands (especially with aluminium heat exchangers).

WELL ALGIE OBVIOUSLY NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO READ. AND UNDERSTAND. AND WHY BE IGNORANT? JUST DONT REPLY OR AT LEAST LOSE THE SUPERIORITY CHIP AND TRY AND BE HELPFUL IF YOU CAN. AND I LIKE BIG LETTERS, SIZE MATTERS AND IT WILL BE ME PAYING THE BILL

You dont seem to have read and understood what you have been told above! Each manufacturers kits only test for their own products!

Tony

PS Why do you post in capitals? Didnt you learn the little letters?[/quote]

If you dont explain what the situation is clearly then you cannot expect anyone to understand.

The situation is that you can pay up to £50 to get a sample professionally analysed by Fernox. I dont see what you will gain by knowing whats in it.

Most people would just drain the system and refill and add their choice of Fernox or Sentinel inhibitors costing about £16. We usually use X100.

Tony

I like big letters I can see them ....going blind after years of DIY ;) Still a grand is a lot ...Rads corroded right thru?.....powerflush should be 400 ish and then a fill up surely, if rads ok. :?: I know I`m a BOF. but I got 20 yrs out of a Fernox`ed system .Kept the little jar with the nail in, along with my Dinky Toy collection. I think you can get stuff to remove biofilm and algae too.

If you want big letters, here's some big ones!!!!!!

AS FOR WRITING IN CAPS, IT'S EITHER A SIGN OF SHOUTING, OR ALTERNATIVELY PIG-IGNORANCE, you choose
:rolleyes:

oilman
did you ever consider that some of us might have a problem with our eyesight????
i thought this was a site for people to give helpful advice, but reading some of the replies it's seems people like you are more interested in bullying people into your style of posting.
i just DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU AND OTHERS LIKE YOU BOTHER TO POST YOUR SELF-OPINIONATED BULLYING REMARKS.
SO THANKS FOR NOTHING OTHER THAN YOUR INSULT TO MY EYESIGHT PROBLEM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back