Testing water pressure for new taps

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am looking aroud for bath taps and have found some that state this on their website:

"For optimum performance this range requires a high pressure water supply (1.0 bar)"

How do I test this, the cold tap comes from the mains and the hot tap comes from an immersion heater/back boiler combo.

Sponsored Links
ur mains will normally be 2-3 bar (hight pressure) and ur hot is low pressure, as its coming from ur tank in the loft.

u req balanced pressure for best results.

So what I have should be k then? 2-3 bar plus possibly up to 1 bar or will the hot water be much lower than 1 bar?

Measure the vertical distance (in metres) between base of cistern (in loft) and your bath tap outlet. Divide this by 10 - this will be the pressure in units of bars.

Unless you live in a very tall house your hot pressure will be less than 1.0 bar and therefore not adequate - the result will be poor flow from the bath mixer. If it's only a filler then may not be much of a problem, but if it actually mixes in the tap then you might find that the cold overcomes the hot to the extent that it pushes the hot back the way it came :(

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
...................but if it actually mixes in the tap then you might find that the cold overcomes the hot to the extent that it pushes the hot back the way it came :(

Hmmmm..........I thought taps like this were not compliant with the water fittings regulations any longer.

ur mains will normally be 2-3 bar (hight pressure) and ur hot is low pressure, as its coming from ur tank in the loft.

u req balanced pressure for best results.

If you're going to use text speak , at least do it for all of the post

ur mns wil nmly b 2-3 br (hp) nd ur ot is lp, as its comin frm ur tnk in t lft.

u req balncd pressr 4 bst reslts.

That saves all these extra characters generating carbon dioxide, and you will be helping the government reaching their emmissions targets. (A quick fart from Two-shags Prescott whilst on the job will ruin all that effort though :D)

oilman said:
Hmmmm..........I thought taps like this were not compliant with the water fittings regulations any longer.
I think it was the other way around - they became legal, but only if check valves are correctly fitted in the correct places :eek:

oilman said:
(A quick fart from Two-shags Prescott whilst on the job will ruin all that effort though :D)
:). And an excellent discovery of the apparent fact that the word censor doesn't pick up on the plural of sh*g :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back