That old chestnut - laying oak boards...float or glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really do need advice here.
I plan to lay oak boards on a sand/cement screed which was laid in the spring. The boards are 18mm thick and different lengths and the room is just less than 4m x 4m.
I'm unsure if the floor has a dpm but we don't suffer any damp that I'm aware of.
I've read previous posts about this dilemma and want to do what's best.
If I don't know if the floor has a dpm - should I just assume it hasn't? If so, is the floating floor the only option? Would Duralay Timbermate Excel be a suitable dpc/sound proof underlayment? I desparately want to avoid the 'hollow' sound but prefer the floating method.
Also, when aclimaitising the wood, do I remove the plastic wrapping but leave in the box or do I just leave the boxes as they are?
Any advice welcome...thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Get a damp meter, it should be less than 12% (?)
What should be less than 12%, Eddie?
Screed/concreet with or without DPM schould be less than 2.3% moist content, Oak (European) between 8 and 12% moist content.

Rimrogs, Timbermate Excell is excellent for your job. Leave the boards in the pack as they are, the plastic isn't stopping the wood from adjusting to your house climate (only if it is really, reallly shrinkwrapped in very thick plastic).

Thanks WYL - it seems the concensus is for a floating floor then. Will this underlayment dampen the 'hollow' sound enough?

Sponsored Links
Timbermate is 4mm thick and made of rubber. As long as your floor isn't to unlevel it will do the trick.

WoodYouLike said:
Eddie M said:
Get a damp meter, it should be less than 12% (?)
What should be less than 12%, Eddie?
Screed/concreet with or without DPM schould be less than 2.3% moist content, Oak (European) between 8 and 12% moist content.

Sorry, wasn't sure if the 12% was the acceptable concrete / screed moisture or the wood moisture content, hence the question mark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back