Mk2 Kuga Powershift (title edited)

I've got a fair idea John, it's had two oil and filter changes with genuine Ford oil (they don't manufacture it though) at £150 a go!.

Started buying 20l tubs after that, currently running Fuchs DCTF at £150 for 20 litres (3 changes worth a tub). Bought 3 tubs but got a fair bit left which will hopefully see the Kuga out!.

Genuine filters are £24 a pop from ebay (Ford dealership), local one wanted £40 per filter the robbing tw@ts.

I have my Stainless filter for life to go in though.

Probably £2500 in bits by the end of it but I have two spare serviceable valve bodies "in stock".

Considering I was quoted £3500 for a rebuild (which to be fair isn't a bad price considering labour etc) I've probably broken even with that BUT my solution has done away with the plastic guides so that won't be on the back of my mind everytime I drive it..

Plus I've gained a plasma cutter that will come in handy when I'm restoring my Mk2 Golf!.

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, much appreciated!. Must admit I was close to throwing the towel in last Monday but all good in the end..

Need to get down to storage site and give the caravan a good clean and going over this coming weekend.

Could do with servicing the brakes on it as well.

Forgotten what it looks like!.

Absolutely, full credit for hanging in there and seeing it through to the end, that was an epic - certainly would have been enough to make me turn tail and run away!

Sponsored Links
Absolutely, full credit for hanging in there and seeing it through to the end, that was an epic - certainly would have been enough to make me turn tail and run away!

As soon as I'd seen the terrible design on the early gearbox I knew it was going to be a long hard fight to the end.

Hopefully now we can just use the car without worrying when it's going to brake down again!.

Sat in the back garden with a beer now after work, it did take it's toll but thankfully a happy ending!.

I think even the wife secretly thought it wouldn't drive again, most people thought I was mad for trying (fair enough!).

But look on the bright side. With a bit of luck, you've effectively now got a car for life (and minimal cost motoring). In that the cheap consumable bits are, well, cheap, and the Achilles heel is no more. (y)

Ford powershift, isn’t known to be trouble free

Yep, never guaranteed to be trouble free!.

I've removed the main failure point completely that contributes to the secondary failures as well (failed damper springs and guides).

The only thing left is the actual TCU electronics (my Mecatronic valvebody is brand new) and I have a brand new 2018 TCU in the spares department if that ever goes wrong.

Can have the front of the car in bits, valvebody out and back in and back on the road in a Sunday now so no great drama.

20190519_140151.jpg

Not sure that this is entirely related to Keith's transmission saga in the Kuga but this guy Steve Lehto ponders the legal implications of 'Ford's dual clutch nightmare'. The smell of a US class action appears to be in the air (depending on time constraints). Some of the comments below are pretty enlightening also.

Not sure that this is entirely related to Keith's transmission saga in the Kuga but this guy Steve Lehto ponders the legal implications of 'Ford's dual clutch nightmare'. The smell of a US class action appears to be in the air (depending on time constraints). Some of the comments below are pretty enlightening also.

Ford designed the 6DCT250 / DPS6 which uses 2 servo operated dry clutches. Even worse than my old gearbox!.

Think all the US class action is against the dry clutch gearbox which is terrible by all accounts.

Ford like class actions.

Think of the money they saved on the Pinto.

Sponsored Links
Back