1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

The joy!.

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by Keithmac, 9 Sep 2018.

1. norseman

norseman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    On the subject of the sealed-for-life debate, I've recently bought a '98 BMW 523i with full service history, but due to the car's lack of use in recent years the last 'inspection' was three years ago. Had a full service done at our local garage (though the old engine oil looked quite clean), thought about BM's SFL claims but read on forums that at 146k it's probably better to leave well alone. The 'box (5 speed Steptronic) functions perfectly so I am inclined to agree with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude in this case. I also think there is an element of luck with slush-boxes, the MK 3 Mondeo 2ltr. auto is reputed to be on borrowed time after 80k but ours had done 170k when we recently PX'd the car, with the 'box still giving no concerns at all.

nb: with this thread being old & spread over so many pages I might be repeating myself with this post, in which case I apologise :oops:

Last edited: 10 Aug 2019
  2. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Mine wasn't a "slush box" it's a twin clutch manual gearbox operated by a Mecatronic unit (TCU / Solenoids and control pistons all in one unit).

The slush boxes were more reliable from what I've seen but have greater transmission losses between the engine and driven wheels.

The 5 speed Stepronic does seem a reliable box, you would want to replace the main oil filer while you were in, not just the oil.

Maybe leave well alone but if you do drop it out it will be a bit of a mess!.

3. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom