Mk2 Kuga Powershift (title edited)

You're both right, the car market seems to be driven towards the lease/pcp model so they only have to survive 3 years or 60,000 miles.

That said, I am pretty sure matey wisely extended the warranty to 5 years though this had to be paid for separately. Probably a worthwhile move. Think I'd be looking to sell after four years assuming everything worked OK. I suppose one way to mitigate the hugely optimistic maintenace schedule would be to conduct oil changes at a far greater frequency. Does anyone know if the car's management software sets off the sound of a claxon if this is undertaken? ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm apprehensive about the reliability of brand new models.

Cars are becoming more complex and, IME anyway, less reliable.

They ought to be more reliable, but in practice, they are not.

We still have the original clutch in our car, at 140K, but I know 3 relatives with much newer and lower mileage cars that have had a clutch replacement already.

In theory, electric cars should have fewer moving parts; could they be a more reliable option?

All depends on the battery pack lifespan really, I would hazard a guess the cost of a battery could write off a 6 year old EV?.

Well, we have done a fair few thousand trouble free miles then we had a random oil leak a few weeks back...

I had a custom spacer machined to space the AWD transfer coupler out 5mm when I fist fitted the gearbox and it "popped" in past the oil seal, nice and snug.

Thing is the coupler has an internal O ring and it was "just" too far out, I'd used a smear of Three Bond sealant and that had lasted so long then we had the weep..

Soooo, laid under the car with transfer case as far out as I could move it I had to try and get this bloody spacer ring back out!. Spent 2 hours on Sunday then called it a day at 8pm got no where with various picks and didn't want to wreck the seal.

Had an idea on Sunday night to try and use an aerosol cap to try and stretch the seal slightly and grab the spacer ring, that would then slide out inside the cap.

First attempt failed on Monday morning but second time was a success!, I genuinely could have cried at that point..

Anyway I managed to refit the coupler with new O ring and reposition the AWD transfer case to take up the difference.

Glad to say all went well and been two weeks now leak free!.

I must admit I did question spacing the coupler out at the time but had to get the car back on the road asap so went with it (hindsight is a wonderful thing).

20190610_154736.jpg
20190610_154743.jpg
20190610_155120.jpg

20200420_112020.jpg

20200420_110031.jpg
20200420_103834.jpg
20200503_152955.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have followed keithmacs adventures for months now, and am astonished at the non-standard moves he has undertaken to repair this .mis-begotten piece of ill-conceived crap.

For me , this has underlined the idea that I will not buy anything until it is well-proven. I have to salute keithmacs technical expertise and tenacicity, but since I only have 5% of his endeavour , I would have to say that's way too far fore.

Heart like a lion, hasn’t he.....
Unfortunately if I decide to replace like for like with my Yeti, its a DSG gearbox or nothing :(
Never mind finding £20k for the privelege.
John :)

I completely understand what you say John. Is your box showing any signs of giving up ? If so at what mileage ?

No, my car is a manual - 65 plate, 4wd, 32k miles. Sorry for any confusion!
I bought it pre registered with 19 miles on the clock and I like it very much - transmission wise the synchromesh can be beaten between 1st and 2nd when the oil is cold but I’m careful with that.
The replacement for the Yeti is only DSG now :(

DSG is on revision 7 or later all problems ironed out, just don't get lumbered with a dry clutch version because they are even worse than my Powershift (believe it or not!).

For our car this coupler spacer was the only question mark, managed to remove it and re-shim the PTU so confident now it's good for a long while to come.

It drives great, just a shame I had to put so much time into it.

I like the idea of a DSG, for sure.....stirring cogs manually has to be a bit archaic these days.
I’ll see what transpires - I was thinking of replacing the Yeti next year but it may as well stay for a bit longer.
It’s a great car but I don’t want to run it until its value is zero.

Ford have gone back to 8 and 10 speed "normal" autos (so thats 10 clutches inside the gearbox!).

I've been watching a bloke stripping and rebuilding transmissions on YouTube, never seen any plastic parts in ANY of them which makes Ford/Getrags idea of plastic damper spring guides even more baffling..

Hi Keithmac, I wondered if I could pick your brain as you seem to know far more about these transmissions than the dealers do! From your research, do you know when Ford introduced the improved 6DCT450 like the 2017 one you fitted? I’m potentially looking at a 2015 Mondeo which has covered around 100k miles. It has the history to show the fluid changes have been completed but I think if it has the same 6DCT450 box as your original 2013 version I’ll leave it; I don’t mind tinkering with cars but I lack your skills and confidence to remove and strip a transmission! Thanks in advance for any info.

I've had a good look at the Kugas and it seems when they went over to the 2l Diesel 180bhp engine they started fitting the new generation Powershift.

On the Kuga it is labelled as FV4R 7000, I don't know if the Mondeo took the same code as the Kuga Powershifts are all AWD.

What engine has it got?, if it's 163 it's definitely the older gearbox (avoid like the plague!).

20190519_144811.jpg

The casing is nigh on identical from the outside although the later gearbox has only 3 bolts holding the mount (early gearbox has 4).

20190618_180804.jpg

Hi Keithmac, thanks for your answer, it’s much appreciated.

This particular Mondeo is a mk5 with a 150 engine, which from hunting around the Mondeo forums is a de tuned 180 so in theory it should have the better transmission. It seems they stopped the 163 engine when the mk4 ceased production so hopefully consigned the older PowerShift to the history books with it! There doesn’t seem to be much information regarding transmission problems in the mk5 which is a good sign.

I guess I’ll take a look at the car, see how well it changes gear and what the fluid looks like, then it’s all down to gut instinct!

Thanks again for your help.

Think this will be our next family car.

2010 on Volvo XC60 D5, 6 speed Aisin Warner gearbox and the 5 pot lump.

Need to do plenty of research first but seem night on bullet proof..

volvo-xc60-front-side-1-664323.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back