Mk2 Kuga Powershift (title edited)

This was interesting, two spring pistons inside a sleeve with a sprung damper on the end!.

20190217_093808.jpg

Just going to put some miles on it now, it was completely undrivable last week, wouldn't even engage reverse on Friday morning.

Hard to photo but the Seafoam did react with somthing as there was globules floating on the top afterwards.

I did give all the solenoids a good kicking (1 amp 9v supply) whilst cleaning as well so could have been some sludge that has dislodged.

20190217_121548.jpg

Must say the oil changes with Hydra Trans deffinitely cleaned the majority of the gearbox very well.

Sponsored Links
Do those pistons have any ring of any description? There's a pretty heavy groove on the left hand end.
John :)

No John there are no "rings", the pistons are an incredibly close fit into the bores, a grain of sand would jam the valve body!.

I think they're there to pull oil into the bores for lubrication or to graduate the clutch action.

Some have the grooves and some don't.

It's all beautifully made (should be at £5,000 a box!).

20190217_095217.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have no problems delving into manual transmissions, but no way would I lock horns with that :eek:
Be lucky Keith

It was a needs must situation John, hopefully behaves itself tomorrow morning!.

Been out for a few miles tonight and all's well still so fingers crossed..

Great work Keith and I hope thats it!
Jobs like this really spook me.....everything is spotless, the oil is clean, there’s no wear.
It had a fault before you started, and all’s well now although there was no problem to be found.
What’s your gut feeling for this?

I think I've either disturbed a sticking control piston or washing and "exercising" the solenoids has had an effect.

Would have liked to have found something obvious but it's gone from undrivable to smooth as silk so must be something related to the Mecatronic unit.

If it were a mechanical or clutch issue it would still exhibit the same fault.

The longest control piston was a task to remove (but again no signs of scoring due to debris).

Just happy it's working at the moment!.

Final checks this morning, all casings bone dry!.

10 mile roadtest from clap cold, smooth as butter. (60 miles total).

Back into family service!, wife's just taken it to work.

I think I've either disturbed a sticking control piston or washing and "exercising" the solenoids has had an effect.

Would have liked to have found something obvious but it's gone from undrivable to smooth as silk so must be something related to the Mecatronic unit.

If it were a mechanical or clutch issue it would still exhibit the same fault.

The longest control piston was a task to remove (but again no signs of scoring due to debris).

Just happy it's working at the moment!.
Yep, certainly agree with that diagnosis! Lets hope it stays that way....I imagine spare parts wouldn't be a breeze either :eek:

I can buy a Mecatronic unit at £1500+vat BUT it comes completely blank (no firmware).

Would have to fit it then transport car to Ford and pay them to flash it..

Well OCD has got the better of me, I've ordered a 3l Ultrasonic cleaner to use at next oil change in summer to give the solenoids a wash (can crack that off in a summers weekend).

More importantly I've managed to source genuine Ford gearbox filters at £22 each (local dear wants £40!).

Last two changes I've been using "Volvo" filters that I got hold of at £20 a piece a while back BUT comparing them to Ford I think they are Chinese knockoffs....

The Ford filters have a Matt housing (much stiffer), the cartrige end caps are shiny, the cartridge middle has a feint red line.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, there is a Bypass check valve on the bottom and the Ford bypass is at least HALF as stiff as the Chinese knock off, more like a third as stiff.....

Googled a few more Volvo filter pictures and they look identical to my genuine Ford ones!.

The Ford 6dct450 and the Volvo MPS6 is the same unit, neither company make the filters (IBS Filtran make them).

Maybe a result?. Poor flow through a sub standard filter and the stiff bypass causing the hydraulic pressure fluctuations?.

20190221_174815.jpg
20190221_174819.jpg
20190221_174919.jpg
20190221_174942.jpg
20190221_175020.jpg

On a positive note over a 100 fault free miles now :).

Attachments

• 20190221_175230.jpg
    20190221_175230.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 324
Sponsored Links
Back