The Sunday Question ?

M

Moz

Do you think in the big scheme of all things that a persons life is predestined at birth ?????????,
I mean ,what makes one child grow into a good member of society an another one a Ian Brady ,
you have the codswallop by soici- professer types who say its the give me a boy at 7 an I WILL give you the man ,
we could say all badly treated/abused kids in slums are serial killers when in fact its those in a stable mother/father /sibling lifestyles who one day became deviants ... Fact ..

I would like to be Devil's Advocate here an say I believe That our lifes are there by a "Design".....

a greater "Plan "....

by who God /Devil /Aliens WHATEVER !?????????????,

If you could go into a maternity ward tomorrow an say without a doubt that child would be another Hitler /Huntley /Brady /Pol Pot /Stalin ....what would you DO...?(like "the Dead Zone ")

Thats Science Fiction of course ,you can't but thats human nature ,but what happens when someone is born with fore sight /that ability ...?

If children are given a path/ purpose in life deep inside , can they be altered ?
what got me into this was another thread on a Theological site I visit regarding Sin an Human nature ...
Rev Johnson site ..

I mean , you have very sane well adjusted Serbian men who commited horrendous war crimes , raping muslim children an cutting heads off at climax ......uuuurrrgh ...
You have dirt poor Rwandans Hutus who slaughtered the dirt poor Tutsi ,it was Hell on Earth , so said the Danish UN Capt. Mbaye Diagne on the ground at the time ,he tried to save 100000s but was not permitted by the UN as men women an children were raped , an cut in to pieces at the UN compound gates ...*terrible *

So we have men who are not soci-predestined to kill but do so ,

Are we given a purpose at birth , that some lil thing wedo/did in our life leads to another "Step" ,where their "step",leads to a MAJOR life change Good or Bad of another ,
(I believe Buddeism is centred some way on my idea ...but very very arty /farty .. trying to say what I just said /mystically like .. )
anyway the question again is ...

Do you think in the big scheme of all things that a persons life is predestined at birth ?,

.......answers on the thread thanks .. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes .................................. That`s covered all possibilities: now can we close the thread

Sponsored Links
Nige F
Thankyou
for your wonderful institeful /progressive input , NOT

I think it down to the mods wether they want to ban this thread , dont you ...

:)
lol

Keep it going Moz...
I think that we are each born with much the same capabilities, but our characters/personalities/tendencies & everything else are formed by the people we grow up with. A happy, stable & well-balanced childhood will bring out the same qualities in an adult - but of course, at any time we can be influenced, for better or worse. I don't believe we have a "plan" for life... but it can sometimes look like that.

i think the way we grow up is a balance between nature and nurture. we are born with different personalities but those personalities develop according to the environment we experience as a child. i think the combination of a certain kind of personality with a particular kind of upbringing could combine to make an ian brady (or a dalai lama for that matter).

having said that, i think that peer pressure can have an enormous effect at any age but i don't know if this is enough to explain the actions of the hutus and the serbians.

To an extent, yes. If your parents were both heroine addicts living in one of this country's many favelas, you never went to school and grew up eating nothing but Mccaine's Microchips then you will, 99.9% of the time grow up with rather low ambition and self-esteem.

However, some people have a particular type of personality that means they can transcend that sort of thing quite easily. For others, it takes more effort. But I think it can still be done by pretty much anyone given enough time and a realistic level of ambition. For example, if your ambition is to become a Premier League footballer as a 50-year old lard-bucket then you will be sorely disappointed. The same if you wanted to become the next Stephen Hawking, if you can't figure out your 3-times-table.

So, your life is pre-destined, but you can modify that destiny yourself if you try hard enough. Within reasonable boundaries... Although what about Eminem? Wanted to be a top-selling rapper despite the fact he was somewhat more palid than almost every other top-selling rapper before. And unlike Vanilla Ice and Snow, he has made a career out of it.

But you can't really do it where other people are concerned. If you marry someone who is a complete b*tch, then you are destined to be pretty unhappy with her no matter what you do.

So, I would say to the original question: "Yes, your life is predetermined, but only within practical tolerances"

AdamW
I respect you , but the sarcasm is very below you ...

regarding such a good thread you coul shine ... its a pity you let me an a few others down with your silly /nasty post , .. :(

No no no, I wasn't being sarcastic.

I just think that your life is predetermined by your surroundings in early life (parents, the area you live, what your school teachers were like), but that everyone can improve it to a certain degree. However, there are some people who have the drive and personality to go right to the top no matter how they were brought up.

For example, take Alan Sugar. His dad worked in a factory, they lived in a council flat in Hackney, but he's now worth £700M. His parents were probably the driving force behind his ambition, and he has made the most of his inherent business sense. If you were in the waiting room of the hospital on the day he was born, would you have said "Oooh, he's definitely going to grow up to be worth over one billion dollars!" :LOL:

We are all born as a 'blank canvass'.

No one is born 'evil' or 'bad' - although certain characteristics can be passed on genetically but I believe we are shaped into what we become as adults by the experiences we have during our development in the very early years of our life.
This is initially by parents, siblings and later by peers groups.

It is very interesting to try and understand what makes people tick........I think about this a lot especially when I see people who engage in certain 'practices' that are very different...............I think to myself 'I wonder how they ever found out that they liked doing this kind of thing' :eek:

Rather simplistic. as a lot of life's successes come from very poor and deprived backgrounds. My take on it is this, if you come from a reasonably well off well educated background, you will amount to pretty much naff all on account of there being absolutely no spark left, and also due to the fact that a lot of mainstream education takes away the ability to think for yourself. That includes university education.,

Eddie M said:
My take on it is this, if you come from a reasonably well off well educated background, you will amount to pretty much naff all on account of there being absolutely no spark left,

Hmmm, interesting... well, the nickname for a Third is a "Gentleman's degree" :LOL:

I'm not sure I agree with you though. I never saw any corrolation between previous education/class/wealth and enthusiasm/ability/final result at university.

Sponsored Links
Back