The wonders of owning an Angle Grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Bosch 115mm Angle Grinder with various accessories. It cuts and grinds metal and stone. It sands wood, it fettles metal, it polishes and cleans. It removes rust, paint, and corrosion. It blows all the waste away as you work. What won't this neat little machine do for me? It's wonderful! How have I existed so long without an angle grinder?

If anyone out there doesn't have an angle grinder, buy one tomorrow. Mine will live in the bedroom so I can see it if I wake up (well, tonight at any rate). Love your angle grinder.

Sponsored Links
i have a "own brand one" its only a didy size, it was good , untill its switch broke, i also notice most small ones have the same switch, i would recomend any one who gets one gets one with a trigger switch ( i have seen them) when i do get one i am going to use it on .....the first angle grinder.

any one else got one, and thoughts regarding switch?

Breezer,

has the switch got a part no, code on it???

You could try searching somewhere like parnell or maplin??

Or the builder method... Half a roll of tape leaving the switch permanently on!

Sorry Masona - I'm sure your grinder is regularly tested for compliance!

Or one of these!

QUALITY!
Oh dear it's dirty, I'll buy a new one!

Sponsored Links
similar looking switch to the one i have but the actual switch has broken off, easier to get new angle grinder, i also found it alkward to operate when waering protective gloves, (as you must) so that is why i was going to get one with a "trigger switch" instead (trigger switch like drills have)

Can you get trigger switch on 115mm angle grinder ?,I have not seen them or were you talking about the 220mm angle grinder.

masona said:
Can you get trigger switch on 115mm angle grinder ?

Yes but they're not that common which is a shame as the trigger was on the underside and much easier to operate safely. Which brings me to another point.
Been using angle grinders for years now, air and electric, 4.5 and 9" and there's one thing I've never really sussed - why in these days of, seemingly excessive, safety legislation do they still put trigger locks on them? I'm sure the old models I used didn't have them and in all honesty can't see why they are even needed. Can you imagine the carnage they would cause if you lost your grip or they snagged out of your hand and were free to cut whatever's in their path.
Yikes - never used the trigger lock, never needed to and never will. :confused:

Studders said:
Can you imagine the carnage they would cause if you lost your grip or they snagged out of your hand and were free to cut whatever's in their path.
Yikes - never used the trigger lock, never needed to and never will. :confused:
Agreed,it happens to me a few years ago where the trigger jammed by brick dusts and was frighteningly,I think they should it on all power tools.

remember i said i would recomend any one who gets one gets one with a trigger switch ( i have seen them) well

anglegrinder.gif

going to "test it" later on other angle grinder

Trouble is with safety type switches, that in laboratory conditions, perfect. In the real world, than can be a real nuisance making a difficult job even more difficult and more dangerous.

Like I said though, I agree in principle, but the switch on my Erbour router is VERY uncomfortable to use and use my small cheapo Ferm router if accuracy or raw power isn't required.

I got one of the £7 Kinzo 115mm grinders from SF as wasn't sure how useful it was going to be or what to look out for in a 'good' one but it has been invaluable. The switch is naff, even when new, eventually the switch overheated and failed but one short call to SF and they're sending a new one without even bothering to collect this as it's not worth it. One day it will get a better one but for the moment this one is doing wonderful service, as is the £20 9" grinder from SF. We also have to highly recommend the 115mm preparation cup wheel as a wonderful way of taking the paint of the beams and leaving a great finish, even just for cleaning up the ones without paint! :D

breezer said:
remember i said i would recomend any one who gets one gets one with a trigger switch ( i have seen them) well

anglegrinder.gif

going to "test it" later on other angle grinder
You bought that in a shed, didn't you?

C'mon - own up...

I bought the cheapo one from Screwfix for £6.99 + discs. I had never used an angle grinder before so didn't know what to expect, but the ease at which you can cut through masonry... "knife through butter" doesn't even come close to describing it! I haven't had the switch go, but it does feel a little dodgy. Especially with rigging gloves on. Definitely need to wear protective gear when using one as I found out when I hit a metal pin/old nail in a block wall. All manner of sparks started flying off. "Get on it with the angle grinder" I thought, "see what happens".

Boy was that fun, all those sparks flying everywhere made me feel like I was in the A-Team, when they used to build stuff after being locked in a barn with half a dozen agricultural machines, an oxyacetalene torch and assorted ironmongery and welding materials.

Get an angle grinder, even if you don't need one. You never know when you might be hit by 1980s TV nostalgia and are compelled to pretend to be BA Baracus. "I pity the fool who don't got no angle grinder, specially if he's getting on that plane, grrrrrr."

ChrisR said:
Be aware that the sparks WILL set light to things :eek:

You know what, I had a funny feeling about Breezer, Secure, FWL and Ban.

Yes, they are all pyromaniacs! it all makes sense now!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back