thin or thick bed tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58186&highlight=

for reference purposes only

i have finished tiling the floor (real tiles on a laminate structure (edge tiles from b and q)-no slivers -3 days work i'm well chuffed but tired

anyway onto the walls now. gcol has given me good advice for tiling but i have a problem

two walls are not quite level. where the window meets my aquapanel there was a gap. it had been tiled over previously but the tiles had cracked. i have filled that area level with the wall.

the second wall is where two rooms were knocked into one. the two surfaces are level for 80% of the wall but 20% there is a slight difference

a batten against both surfaces shows a difference of maybe 2 millimetres maybe 3 max. a batten levelled against the surfaces shows this gap. it is a small deviation.

can i get away with it with a reasonable amount of adhesive. should it be a thick bed adhesive to counter this and if so what manufacturer would you reccomend

the pic shows the filled area next to the aquapanel. the other area can be seen from the pic as an oblong shape right of my basin pedestal which is a different colour -brownier rather than pink

Sponsored Links
Hello diymonkey

Im glad my assistant gcol has helped you here while Ive been away , ;)

I wont worry about the level difference if its not more than 3mm you can always blind it with the tiles ,make sure your first few rows of tiles are bang on level then work accordingly to them
I always used Bal adhesives
http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060

hope this helps you ;)

:LOL:

thank u

should i start with the slightly higher level and work to the lower or vice versa or does it matter-do i just try and smooth the transition from one to the other-if indeed there even is one?

finally i am working on the first row just above the bath to the ceiling-where there is no bath i will have to work to the floor of course -do i just use some tape to hold those tiles in place-to stop them slipping

thank u for any assistance on this

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
Im glad my assistant gcol has helped you here while Ive been away , ;)
Cheeky git ;) . Where you bin anyway ya splitter?

Anyway diymonkey, if your bath is "cock-on" level then you can tile onto it and run a batten along the wall in line with those tiles. If not you'll need to run the batten around the room (just under 1 tile up from the bath) and work down to the bath.
When you go over an unsupported area, then you can run a batten, then lay the above tiles. When the tiles have stuck fast, you can fit the lower tiles and hold them in place with gaffer tape.

:D

that's brilliant

thank u for both of your help

i'll get cracking today

Where you bin anyway ya splitter ?

In exhile ......;) weather nice there but food rubbish ,lol..lol.lol..lol..lol.lol.lol

nice to see scrabby doo here helping out you done well ,
scrabby ...;)

help

almost a full tile to the bath means a 7cm piece at the floor in 2 small areas and 12.5 to 13cm to the ceiling. that seems ok. everywhere else will be nice

the bigger concern is that at the top of the window reveal which u cant see from my picture there is a small piece of wall to the ceiling, in the same way there is wall to the floor under the window

that is 21cm. so to ensure the pattern goes round the room i will have to split it in two, with a piece 12.5 / 13cm to the ceiling and a piece of about 8cm below it to the window

hope this makes sense. will it look odd?

oh and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhh!!!! all these rules that contradict each other. nurse the screens please

Hmmm if I'm following you right then I wouldn't worry about it. It's nice to have the window to be spot on (cause that does catch your eye). What you've got to look at is, what will look better - equal around the window or equal around the wall edges to the floor and ceiling.

:D

tricky disco or what-the alternative is to have less than half a tile to the bath-so i will go with almost a full tile to the bath and have two halfs above the window-

as ever thanks for your input. :cool:

as my assistant scrabby doo(LOL ! :) ) says a feature/window in the room needs to be perfect ......

you can live with other slight imperfections at edges corners...

but a glaring error around a feature looks awful an you will hate yourself if you dont get the feature plan right , while your planning now makes all the difference, than the self loathing afterwards as you lay in the bath looking at the odd laid tiles laughing at you later ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back