Thinking about buying a router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To all those who are maybe thinking on the purchase of a router, can I offer this tip, go for the larger 1/2 capacity. Unless you have a need for the smaller size.

The larger machine is more heavy but you quickly get use to this, the weight can also be an advantage on occasions. To my mind the biggest plus point is increased safety offered by the larger shank size, which also gives a greater choice of cutters, on most machines you get a 1/4in. collet supplied so you can still use smaller cutters.The difference in price is not that great.

The dangers of using either machine are always there, don't run before you can walk.

The router is truely a great tool and I rank it third after cordless and jigsaw, once you start getting into it you wounder how you managed without one, add a table and you really double it's capabilities.

Before anyone pulls me up on the danger of smaller collets, I'm not saying anybody makes an outright dangerous cutter, what I'm saying is that some cutters are getting very close to the line as regards to shank/body size, to somebody doing smaller/finer work, then they proberly would not use this type of cutter anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back