Thinking Of Replacing Old Wooden Frame Double Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been toying with the idea of replacing our old wooden frame double glazed units with some newer "wood effect" uPVC units in all windows in our late 30's terraced house. The current units are OK, but they are getting draughty not to mention the closing handles are not working as they should, and the frames externally and internally themselves are pretty much worn due to weathering etc, and two of the glass units have gone with condensation formed inside the glass pane meaning I'd need to replace them both. It's something which me and the wife have considered since buying the house we now live in from two years ago.

I have never had to consider changing windows up until now, and I'd like to know if such work means I might need to redecorate afterwards around the window frame(I'm not worried about having to repaint/wallpaper, more so if plastering needs doing). For instance in our bathroom it's tiled around the window where the window frames archetrave is. Would it be a better option to have the windows replaced first and then the bathroom refitted out, or could I have the bathroom redone and then consider the possibility of having new DG units installed without the worry of unnecessary tiling need doing not to mention other potential damage happening?

Michael.

Sponsored Links
Replacing windows will always mean a certain amount of making good, both externally & internally. How much depends on how different the new window frame section is & how careful the window fitters are. A certain amount of plaster work repairs may also be necessary but this should be confined to filling cracks & making good around the frames & new cill boards if you have them fitted. I would always fit the windows before contemplating any decorating or tiling.

You should be aware that replacing complete windows is notifyable work & subject to BC inspection & certification unless done by a FENSA registered company. Lots of info on the forum regarding do’s, don’ts & potential pitfalls so do a search & have read up to avoid any tears latter.

If you do the necessary maintenance work on the existing frames they will outlast uPVC. You can replace the draught seals, (though it's only distributed ventilation), and the handles and the glazing units.

I would replace the glazing with single glass as the benefit of double glazing is one of the poorest returns on fuel saving investment, and guess what? the units fail and need replacing, so where was the saving? I have 1/8" glass that is 130 years old, and the wood burner still makes the rooms too hot.

You will eventually have all of the problems with uPVC that you now have with the wooden frames. You can maintain and repair wooden frames, you are unlikely to be able to do this with uPVC.

uPVC is no more maintenance free than wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back