Thinning paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been advised to use Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt to paint my walls and ceiling, the bloke said i should thin it. Why? (He said just because you should!) Will it look horrendous if i don't thin it or is the idea of thinning the paint to make it go further? Also how many coats will it need?

Sponsored Links
as far as i know (not being diy literate!) the ceilings are plaster on brick (i live in a purpose built flat) and the ceilings have that bobbly stuff which looks like artex to me tho i may be completely wrong!

sorry blonde moment! the walls are plaster on brick!! not the ceilings! the bedroom ceilings are flat apart from a very badly botched new plaster job near the window! and the living room ceiling is that bobbly artexy stuff.

Sponsored Links
Is the plaster already painted ? Is the artex already painted ? If yes, then all you need to do is thin down your emulsion with 15% water. However this is assuming no oil based paints have been recently used on walls and cielings.

the ceilings have been painted there is vinyl wallpaper on the walls that i've been stripping and it looks like there is a coat of something underneath but i don't know what. In places i have bare plaster that has nothing on it at all.

Emusion cieling with recomended ratio"as above", assuming there is no Nicotine Stains & no oil based paint on top surface & no very shiny silk. Also, your walls need to be either Lined with lining paper or re-plastered.

erm i smoke :confused: so there may be nicotine stains on the walls and ceilings :( . is this gonna make more work for me?! Why do i need to use lining peper and why can't i just paint the walls?

Sometimes, in a "heavy" smokers home the Nicotine can bleed through all emulsions, therefore changing the colour to a lovely hint of Nicotine. So, it needs to be washed off, then given two coat of Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus, then followed by two coats of desired emulsion. However, if surfaces have been previously emulsioned with an a cheap emulsion or matt then the washing of the surface in question will destroy the surface. In other words you will need to apply Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus directly over the Nicotine, though there could be an adverse reaction (this rarely happens). Also, the problem with emulsioning over already papered walls that have been strpped is that they have excess paste sitting on the surface and if emulsioned over then emulsion can fail within one hour or 5 years down the line. Hence why i recomend either lining walls or re-plastering them.

ok thanks for the help, looks like there is no quick way of doing this! was hoping 1-2 coats of emulsion would do the job!!

It's not nicotine, it's tar. If it covers your walls just think what your lungs look like.

Smoking kills 50% of its victims. They are the same odds as tossing a coin!

joe

florrie said:
ok thanks for the help, looks like there is no quick way of doing this! was hoping 1-2 coats of emulsion would do the job!!
:LOL: "joe-90 :LOL: Anyway, "florrie" for some reason when smokers want there surfaces painted by a painter and a painter explains to them what is needed then they seem to get angry for the suggestion of what the Nicotine is doing to there walls and they ask the painter to leave. Which the smoker thinks the painter is telling lie's for more money/work, but if the painter does not make it clear what the Nicotine's reaction will be when over coated with emulsion, then the smoker will want his money back ! So, i would advice for you to take my advice on previous answer, but then again the Nicotine will be applied on to the new surfaces !

i completely understand that there may be nicotine stains on the walls and ceilings even tho i am not a 'heavy' smoker. however when the flat is painted i don't plan on smoking indoors as i have easy accessibility to my balcony and i really shouldn't be smoking around a small child :confused: and then if i want to decorate again i won't have the same problems with the nicotine and the walls will look a lot better without being stained.

when smokers want there surfaces painted by a painter and a painter explains to them what is needed then they seem to get angry for the suggestion of what the Nicotine is doing to there walls and they ask the painter to leave. Which the smoker thinks the painter is telling lie's for more money/work, but if the painter does not make it clear what the Nicotine's reaction will be when over coated with emulsion, then the smoker will want his money back!

do people really do that?! seems fairly obvious to me that there in some cases be a recaction cos after all nicotine/tar is one chemical and paint is another! I just want it to look nice so am happy do do the hard graft involved (would be nice if i could afford to pay someone to do it for me tho!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back