Thomson 28wm101 tv, problems with standby/powering up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, but I have a question about a tv which we bought six weeks ago.

It's a Thomson 28" widescreen tv.

Since we got it, we have had constant problems with the channels tuning themselves out. Now we only use the av sockets, as we have sky, but once it tunes out, it only recognises one av socket and leaves a no video signal and has to be retuned.

that was tolerable, but last friday week, I came home and tried to get it out of standby. When it is in standby, the red light is on indicating this and when you switch if on the red light goes off, before you can then use the remote control.

Last Friday week, I could not get the standby light to go off, I switched off the t.v., unplugged it, tried it in several different sockets over a period of three hours, tried four different scart sockets, all to no avail. I then plugged another tv into the same setup and it was fine.

The next day we took the tv back to the shop, we had been there two weeks previously but due to family illness had not been able to return with the tv.

I explained all of our problems to the store manager, who offered a credit note for the tv. he then tested the issue with the channels tuning out and rang two hours later to inform me there was no problem with the tv. I asked him about the problems with the tv not coming out of standby and he advised me he had switched it on and off eight times and had no problems.

So the following friday (store hours are quite bad and we work several hours from home) the the tv came back :(. That was last Friday and all was well until last night, when the tv had been in and out of standby for five days (we rarely actually switch the tv off). I came home and could not get the tv out of standby. I unplugged it and left it for twenty minutes, and switched it back on and it worked fine.

Then an hour later the sound went on the tv and a couple of minutes later the tv went into standby. Unplugged it again, and gave it five minutes, no joy. Eventually after leaving it unplugged for 20 minutes it came back on.

Then an hour later again, sound went, and the tv went into standby, this was at 5 to 11 and after trying again for half an hour of leaving the tv unplugged we gave up and went to bed, leaving it unplugged

Voila this morning it works fine.

As this is an intermittent problem, the store manager has more or less said that he does not believe we are having this problem and I am now stuck with a tv which does not work correctly, and no way of proving this.

Has anyone come across anything like this before and have any suggestions? To me it seems almost as if after a certain period of time being on and/or in standby the tv seems to freeze and will not come on. Another thing we have noticed is that when this happens and we unplug the tv the light takes about five seconds to go out.

Any help or advise appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no doubt that this tv is faulty. It is probable that considering the original problem with the tuning that the secondary problem is down to the same fault.The fault seems to be at the front end of the tv but because this is an intermittent fault it will need a workshop soak test under the same conditions as you run it at home. If you leave the set permanently in standby even overnight (incidently not recommended but should not cause fault)then the workshop bench tech should do the same until the fault happens.This type of fault is quite possibly known to thomson technical, and workshop technicians do have avenues of communications with manufacturers.The standby light taking some little time to extinguish is quite normal and does not indicate a fault it is part of a capacitive circuit and will take a few seconds to go off completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back