Thorn Apollo 30/50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 25 year old Thorn apollo 30/50 heating a modern 5 bed house (3 bed originally, extended 5 years ago). Boiler is running fine, and was throughly flushed when moved as part of the extension. Other than replacing the thermocouple about 8 years ago it has been trouble free.

Wondering
a) How much longer it will go on.
b) What the easiest replacement model would be.

Despite being slightly small for the (extended) house 50,000BTUs seems fine (the house is fully double glazed, well insulated and never cold).

Steve

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke don't fix it, life expectancy? how long a piece of string, replacement boiler? would have to be a condenser (fuel efficient) to comply with the new regs. If you do change it to a condenser make sure it has a Stainless Steel heat exchanger.

The heating appliance may be working o.k however the eff will be very low!! Would advise that a replpacement boiler be fitted if not to protect yourself againt a failed boiler in the middle of the winter, work demand is very high at this time and you may find some interesting prices. My advise would be not too run out and get a new one now but at least start the (Boiler fund) as this is not cheap. I see that your other reply advised a Stainless steel heat exchanger.........WHY.
I personally have had many years working with high eff boilers (Condensing) and find that as long as you stick with a british manufacture you will not go far wrong, Ideal Icos HE ( not to be confused with the early model Icos)
Worcester greenstar both very good boilers
Regards Engineer

Come on Idealmaster thats rubbish and you know it.

Viessmann and all the quality condensing boilers use Stainless steel.

No !!!!! English manufacturer can get even close to their Excellance in the domestic market.

Sponsored Links
And whatever happenned to the Potty Envoy?

Tony.

gazthepottertonengineer said:
rubbish do it all you cant beat the new baxi 100 HE/2 quality at its best :p

And the gaurantee on the heat exchanger is 12 months ?

Increase that to 10 years and 5 years parts and labour on the rest I will start to believe the British manufacturer is finally getting the message.

Unfortunately you'll all be out of business inside the 5 years.

the only thing that causes heat exchangers (which you seem to have an obsession with) to go is sludge in sysytems and you cannot give guarantees against that unfortunately !!

and potterton Envoy was a good boiler and there are still plenty out there that havent had any probs as long as they are serviced annually :rolleyes:

Of course I have an obsession with heat exchangers, Ifthere made properly they last

Mine is 25 year old and never been flushed out or inhibitors added

Grant offer a 15 year On their heat exchanger

Agreed on the ain't broke don't fix it front - however I'd like to sus out suitable replacement models for when the time comes. On that front I'd like water connections at the top and a rear flue i.e a similar configuration to the Apollo so I don't end up with patched brickwork on the outside wall (fussy bugger I am) .

There seem to be plenty of options with water connections at the top, but so far I haven't seen any condensing boilers with rear flue - they all seem to come out the top and turn 90 degrees.

Also the apollo has built in controls (only 24hr). I was thinking of replacing these with a 24/7 room thermostant and 24/7 timer - was thinking perhaps I'd be better doing this before and so simplify the job when the time comes (I've already had to decipher the original wiring - two bits of twin and earth were replaced with proper seven core colour coded cable when we moved the bolier into the extension).

Flue are much smaller on modern boiler so there's bound to be some making good, the best way is to rebuild the wall after you remove the old one, then core drill a new hole after the cement has set hard.

As I said pay the extra and go for the Viessmann, Atag, MHS if you expect it to last more then 5 years.

Agreed on the ain't broke don't fix it front - however I'd like to sus out suitable replacement models for when the time comes.

I'm for the aint broke dont fix it fan club as well. Parts are still available for apollos and they are cheaper to fix than modern combis As it stands what you lose in the efficiency stakes you gain in the parts department.

Run that apollo into the ground, get your bobsworth out of it and cross your next bridge when you come to it as probably by the time it dies CHPU's will be all the rage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back