Thorn Housewarmer S - backboiler pilot light!

GSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The other day there were some workman outside the house replacing an underground power cable to my house which in turn supplies power to other houses in the street, these workman hit the gas supply to my house causing a small leak so they called the gas company to fix it..... I'll get to the point. Anyway, as i was about to go to work i decided to turn the gas of to the backboiler(fire) in fear of returning home to a house full of gas, the fire/backboiler is a Thorn Housewarmer 44-789-04 who's pilot light is always on, i turned the supply of to the boiler by pressing the red button bottom left hand side behind the plate, and on leaving the house i also turned the maim supply off to be double sure.

Ok, so my problem is getting the thing to reignite, its been two days now and i really need a bath ). I've tried turning the stat thats under the fire off and on but that didn't work, I've tried turning the stat off/on while holding the white button in that as a symbol of a flame on it, but that didn't do the job, and I've also tried turning the heating/water on with the stat off, then turning the stat back on...still no joy.

The fire itself works fine the pilot light to ignite the fire stays on, its just backboilers pilot light that's the problem.

The 3a fuse to the timer (Randall 103) controller is ok as i can hear the pump kick in when i turn it on.

Any help in getting this old boiler to kick back in would be much appreciated.

GSB.

Sponsored Links
Is the boilers pilot igniting, then going out when you release the white button?

Can you see the ignition sparking to ignite the pilot?

David

Are you repeatedly pressing the Piezo ignitor (spark generator) whilst holding white button?
Can you see a spark at the pilot on burner ??

Hi again

I really don't know what the correct procedure is to get the pilot light on i'm just pressing and hoping...no matter what I've tried i cant get it to ignite, nor do i see or hear the spark, but that's probably because I'm doing it wrong!

Controls under the fire are a red button on top of a white button on the left end side, and on the right a thermostat control that reads off - 1-6!

Sponsored Links
Ignore the dial with 1-6 on it.

To ingnite pilot, depress white button fully and hold in.

With other hand, press the ignition button repeatedly until pilot is established.

Once lit, continue to hold in white button for further 30 seconds.

Release button and pilot should remain lit.

You can then turn the dial to whatever number you prefer (it is not part of the lighting sequence.)

Remember you have had your gas turned off so you may have to hold in the white button for a few minutes to 'purge' or push the air out that may have gotten in the pilot before any gas will ignite.

David

Glad I'm not the only one!

I have been having EXACTLY the same problem with the same old model of boiler this weekend

Gas supply was off for a bit. Fire at front works fine. But I can't get the boiler pilot to spark up at all

This is usually the result of never getting the boiler serviced!

For the pilot to light easily its essential that the system is clean and regularly serviced.

Tony

Do as Soggy says it really could seem like an age before any gas gets through. If it still won't light I would suspect a blockage in the pilot injector if you can see a spark.

This will need a corgi in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back