Tightness test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come off yet another T*****o cap off, leak on instalation pipework, (yeah right).

Question is, why if engineers performing tightness test, does he/she not check appliances are turned off, ie, permanent pilots, cooker control taps.

yet again gone to a household with small children and baby, to find "leak" was part open tap on hob.

never ceases to amaze me over looking the obvious and poor old customer having to pay my call out charge for something so so simple :eek:

Sponsored Links
I've had similar, but mine have been because of siemens meter change guy's.

he replaced a meter then tested, got a complete drop. ID issued and b******* off! Client called Transco who found no drop whatsoever. Customer said that she had noticed hob burner tap on and had turned it off. Siemens wouldn't believe her or re-test.

Transco weren't allowed to 're-connect' so customer had to pay call out. Transco even called siemens guy to come back but he refused.

Thats the beauty of a bonus pay scheme I suppose :mad:

clf-gas said:
never ceases to amaze me over looking the obvious and poor old customer having to pay my call out charge for something so so simple

I am pretty sure the meter changer will always ask the customer to turn off all all appliances before he starts.

If they then fail to do so then I dont have much sympathy for the customer.

Having said that, the meter changers are not always very helpful when dealing with less capable customers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
I am pretty sure the meter changer will always ask the customer to turn off all all appliances before he starts.

last man on the job carry's the can

so he should make sure himself before he starts :rolleyes:

Quite right KP, he should also do a tightness test before he removes the old meter.

kevplumb said:

last man on the job carry's the can

so he should make sure himself before he starts :rolleyes:

Well done kev. Anyone competent shouldn't have to rely on customers say so.

A man after my own heart who likes a drink :)

Agile said:
clf-gas said:
never ceases to amaze me over looking the obvious and poor old customer having to pay my call out charge for something so so simple

Having said that, the meter changers are not always very helpful when dealing with less capable customers.

Tony

ew I must agree with Gas4 never never ever ever reply on a customer to do stuff you MUST do it yourself.

Had a bad customer this week tony? ;)

Re hob still being on. This would not be a problem with an old fashioned puff test, it would be first thing you noticed. ;)

Transco weren't allowed to 're-connect' so customer had to pay call out. Transco even called siemens guy to come back but he refused.

Did'nt know transco wont reconnect,learn something new every day..

Issuing a cert one day and found a drop, checked everything, LDF the meter, nothing. Got the bloodhound out and found hole in manometer tube :oops: :oops: Was I,

Last man, Rightly put Kev.

namsag said:
Re hob still being on. This would not be a problem with an old fashioned puff test, it would be first thing you noticed.
OK grandad - all ears. Wossat?? :confused: :confused:

You'll be telling us about your french bag next...?

ChrisR. I am far too young to have used this method.:cool: It is from the real old school in the days before corgi and proper rules and regs.. On the old meters the pressure nipple used to stick in the meters and so to test the supply they used to turn the main tap on then back off leave it for five minutes then go and turn on a ring at the cooker if there was a loud puff of gas they new it was sound if not they then looked for a leak.

I was afraid you might have meant something like that namsag. Oh dear, this is a diy site - better delete it perhaps!

Agile said:
I'm curious - do you ever have much sympathy for any customer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back