TILE ADHESIVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In the process of wall tiling my bathroom. Have removed old tiles which has revealed a combination of wall surfaces. Skim plaster on sand cement render to two walls, plasterboard proprietary wall system from the 1960’s to two walls and chipboard on stud infilling an old doorway.

Gonna replace chipboard with wbp ply or plasterboard, and tank plasterboard walls (where bath will be located).

Query is my local tile shop recommended BAL ready mixed for all surfaces, which I bought, but now nervous of using on plaster and plywood. Applied adhesive to one of the plaster walls which is very smooth (previous owner had put pva on walls so I sanded off) and adhesive wouldn’t adhere. Advised to use primer to improve adhesion but concerned will still fail. Don’t want to re do in 6 months time.

Would welcome any advice on this. Cheers.

PS Using ceramic tiles 330 x 250.

Sponsored Links
Hi I am not familiar with BAL's range but I would recommend priming the surfaces first with an SBR primer (not PVA) and then a White cement based polymer modified adhesive which I guess BAL White star is.

As long as everything is sound and non -primed wet areas are tanked it should be fine.

I'd remove that advertising link if I were you - read the forum rules.

Bal white star is not polymer modified and is not cement based (it's acrylic based).
If you want a white polymer modified cement based adhesive from Bal then you want Bal CTF 3. If you're not bothered about it being white then I suggest Bal gold star or if you can tile quickly, Bal rapidset.

Sponsored Links
Good man. The mods would have shifted it before long anyway - they don't like that sort of thing.
Nice site though. ;)

link removed

Surely I can post this? There seems to be a lot of use of BAL's site on the forum. For the record I have not sold BAL for 15 years, although it always used to be good.

Your website is clearly visible in your profile - anyone just needs to click on your name to see your website. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back