tile around fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tile already in place around a fireplace. It is smooth, well placed tile, however the color is terrible. Should I break this tile up and remove it or tile over the top of it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Breaking the tiles could be a bit messy. You may end up pulling a lot with them, although you can always re-plaster the damage.

Normally you can just tile over existing tiles. If the tiles are too smooth score them with something sharp. Depending on the fireplace (not knowing what yours looks like) you'll have to be carefull that overtiling wouldn't protrude too much and that you could spoil the look by the overall thickness.

Personally i would take the existing tiles off, but then i would be prepared to smooth the wall/backing of the fireplace. Depends how confident with your skills you are.

Good Luck!! :)

Hi, well if it's just the colour- why not use tile paint, plenty of colour choices. Always take the short route- life's too short! :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back