Tile up? Or tile down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tiling my kitchen with 300mm x 100mm ceramic tiles. I am tiling above the worktop, I think the usual way to do this would be to place a batton above the worktop, tile up from here, then fill in the space between the batton and the worktop.

I have some wall cupbards above the worktop and I've measured the distance between the bottom of these and the worktop. It's approx 650mm, so working on this, I will get six tiles in then approx half a tile remaining. What I want to know is wether I should put a whole tile on top of the worktop and tile up to the bottom of the cupboard, as above the worktop is more visible than under the cupboard, or do it the other way round, leaving the half tile at the bottom. Or, a quarter sliver at top and bottom.

If I do put a whole tile at the bottom, shall I measure up from worktop a whole tile lay the tiles on a batton level, then fill in below in case the worktop isn't 100% level (although I think it pretty much is)

thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
I think you should lay the tiles out, so they look good & fit between the cabinets with minium cuts.

Start tiling from the worksurface with a full tile - don't worry about what you're left with under the cupboards cause you'll not notice it. What you will notice is if you start cutting the bottom row of tiles, it'll look rubbish. ;)

gcol said:
Start tiling from the worksurface with a full tile - don't worry about what you're left with under the cupboards cause you'll not notice it. What you will notice is if you start cutting the bottom row of tiles, it'll look rubbish. ;)

I would agree with this if work top & cabinets are parallel. I would prefer the tiles to go behind the work top.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys.

Do I literally sit the tile on top of the worktop, or shall i put a tile spacer in?

ps, are you suggesting I can't cut tiles very well!!? :LOL: ;)

PPS gcol, while you're here. I posted about whether to pva my walls first (but didn't get much of a reply), i a put a skim coat of plaster to smooth out a lot of cruddy plaster and fill wire runs etc. I checked the back of the bal adhesive and it said to seal with bal stuff if the plaster is newer than 4 weeks (it isn't) or really dusty (a little). Should I pva to be on the safe side, use bal, or just wipe off the dust?

chrisz said:
PPS gcol, while you're here. I posted about whether to pva my walls first (but didn't get much of a reply), i a put a skim coat of plaster to smooth out a lot of cruddy plaster and fill wire runs etc. I checked the back of the bal adhesive and it said to seal with bal stuff if the plaster is newer than 4 weeks (it isn't) or really dusty (a little). Should I pva to be on the safe side, use bal, or just wipe off the dust?
If you're using premixed stuff, then I'd say use their primer. Failing that, pva is fine as long as you're not using it in a shower area. If you're using bagged powdered adhesive then I'd just go straight onto the wall.

premixed bal blue star. will pva it to be on the safe side.

I presume I run a bead of silicone round after? White or clear?

cheers for your help as always. I finished the travertine floor. Prety chuffed with the results, couldn't have done it without advice from here. This should be a doddle in comparison!

chrisz said:
I presume I run a bead of silicone round after? White or clear?
Of the two, white against the tiles. I generally use white around tiles and clear around sinks and hobs but it all depends on what colour your tiles/worktops are. Obviously, if you have grey grout then white silicone might not look too hot. ;)

chrisz said:
Do I literally sit the tile on top of the worktop, or shall i put a tile spacer in?
2mm spacer, so that you can silicone seal the gap.

uh-oh, contradiction! if i sit the tile on top like gcol suggests, then seal between tile and worktop, will this not be a sufficient seal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back