Tiles? All the same size....right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since this section was empty, I thought I'd start....I am refurbing the bathroom, everything out, all new in.....except that is for the floor tiles. My wife (bless her cotton socks) wants the bath moving (what is it with women and moving things?) anyway, she assures me that she can get the extra floor tiles to finish where the bath once was. You are ahead of me right? She could get them alright, and just as I was about to lay the first one, having secured a piece of ply to the floorboards and speading a thick coat of adhesive, I realise that it's longer than the ones in place! I point this minor detail out to my wife, only not in so many words, and her quest for the right size tile begins. Now 2 days on we are on 'hold' as the quest continues. (women!) What concerns me is that with each passing hour, the saga of the ill fitting tiles is turning out to be my fault! How do they do that? and what is the penalty for manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility anyway?
Will it be resolved? Watch this space....

Sponsored Links
Your wife may have caused you problems - but you certainly brought a smile to my face. You may not have the correct tiles - but you can tell a good story.

I look forward to the next stage of this saga - good luck finding the tiles.

My options on the tiles came down to: Patch & make do, or resurface the whole room with new tiles. I didn't fancy the latter so I had a stab at fitting the bigger tiles alonside the shorter ones. To my amazement, I got away with it because the tiles generally are a hexagon oblong with the square inserts, you know the sort, and as it would only affect the first row (because they are also narrower, did I mention that? thought not.) I simply cut about 5 mil off the insert. Hey presto! I can honestly say that you just can't tell. So all's well that ends well, on the tile front anyway. Now if I can just remember the name of that web site where you can trade your wife for power tools......

Glad you got a result and hope the wife likes it. As she given you the next job yet - that's what my dear wife does for me. She writes the list and I do the work - then she ticks off the job. What would we do without them?

Sponsored Links
well I'm on holiday at the moment (that's a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one!)and as I mentioned, it's a full refurb' so today it's plumbing the bath in (lunch break as I write) There I am, blow torch in one hand, solder in the other when the phone rings....I ignore it.....it continues so I answer, who do you think it is? correct....my wife, the unpaid, un-appointed clerk of works ringing to see 'How you are doing?' Does anyone else bite their lip as much as I seem to have done this week?

Glad to hear she's still got you at it. I hope you managed to take time out and remember the dear lady on Valentine's Day - they do like a bit of the old treatment, as well as the DIY treatment.

well they do say behind every great man theres a woman..... tutting, rollin her eyes,barkin out orders. i love the decorating fraze she uses "WE`LL decorate here next. :eek: WE`LL what she means is `YOU`LL :rolleyes: there a funny breed :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back