Tiling a damp concrete floor link to out-house conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few posts related to damp concrete floors and tiling.

I have a 1960's house where they have linked an small out-house with the kitchen. They have removed the old back door and linked the out-house with the kitchen using a flat roof and a set of french windows.

I have been planning to tile my kitchen floor which has thick chipboard 2cm and lino on top.

This is fine, but when I pulled up the lino in the area that used to be outside (linking kitchen to out-house), there is a damp concrete floor.

The out-house has been converted into a room with a raised floor (which I assume has been damp proofed in some way) this room building is single skin and cold.

My questions are thus:
1. Should I use a bitumen type product on the damp concrete and should I try to dry it out first by lifting the lino and airing it?
2. Should they have put a dpc in that part floor before finishing the conversion?
3. The damp concrete is at the same level as the thick chipboard, so should I raise the whole level of this part of the floor and if I have to what about my upvc doors which are at the level of the concrete as well.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back