Tiling Bathroom Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tile my bathroom floor. Is plywood suitable to lay onto the floor boards, then tile upon?

If so, what thickness plywood should be used?

Sponsored Links
Yes, most adhesive makers will say 15mm plus but if the existing boards are sound then 12mm usually works OK screwed at 200mm cts

Make sure it is WBP ply and use flexi adhesive & grout, look in the tiling forums for Gcols sticky and hundreads of posts on the subject.

JAson

If I lay 15mm plywood onto my existing floorboards and then tile on top, then there will be a significant height difference from my landing area which is carpeted to my bathroom floor. Is it not possible to use smaller thickness of plywood (say 3mm)?

matthall said:
I want to tile my bathroom floor. Is plywood suitable to lay onto the floor boards, then tile upon?

If so, what thickness plywood should be used?

Use 12mm and have a slight step - plenty of people do it. If you use 3mm your grout will crack and your tiles will almost certainly loosen. Alternatively, replace the floorboards with 25mm WBP ply and tile onto that.

Sponsored Links
Just a comment re the tiling.You really dont need ply to cover floorboards.Just screw floorboards every 6 inches to make them firm and use the adhesive made for tiling to the boards which is flexible and perfect for what you are needing in keeping height down.The fixing and grouting is with same stuff and not expensive,jus a few pence dearer.
give it a go,I have done my whole floor with it years ago and no probs

kasparx said:
You really dont need ply to cover floorboards.Just screw floorboards every 6 inches to make them firm and use the adhesive made for tiling to the boards which is flexible and perfect for what you are needing in keeping height down.
If I catch you spouting this nonsense on here again, I'll track you down and do to you what the little smilie on the right is doing below.

lol @ gcol

at your post ...lol
Jack bauer is sh*ting it , if he will have a job as the new bad boys on the scene ..lol..lol..lol..lol...lol....lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back