1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiling directly onto plasterboard

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by DSL, 4 Jan 2006.

1. DSL

DSL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Simple question this ... Is it OK to tile directly onto plasterboard (with primer) or would I be better off skimming first?
    (p.s. The wall is to be used as a shower wall so would I be better off using Aquapanel instead? Cost puts me off a bit though!)

2. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Personally, on plasterboard, I just rake off all loose paint, give the surface a good deep scratch, coat it with diluted PVA, and let it dry off.

Some tilers prefer not to use a PVA-based primer. If you search the forum you'll soon discover some vociferous disagreements about this issue.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Aquapanel only in a shower....the cost may put you off but the tiles will soon follow off p/board.... particularly if there is no shower extract fan :cry: Just look @ the thread by strongbowpeter ;)

5. DSL

DSL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How about green (moisture resistant) plasterboard instead?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. jbonding

jbonding

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    moisture resistant boards are used on most of the new work ive done on site. I will be honest i think there a blag, ive never seen tiles fall off plasterboard in all my years due to the plasterboard.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local